[ASC-media] NewScientist 8 February Media Release

Garman, Joanne (RBI - AUS) Joanne at NewScientist.com.au
Thu Feb 6 11:10:24 EST 2003

STORIES FROM 8 FEBRUARY 2003 ISSUE

SPECIAL REPORT: THE SHUTTLE DISASTER New Scientist provides in-depth
reporting and a review of the Columbia disaster. What went wrong? Did a
fragment from the fuel tank really breach the shuttle's heat shield? Were
there any warning signs? What are the consequences for the Space Station,
and the astronauts still up there? How will this affect America's role in
space exploration? Pages 4-9

TOWER COLLAPSE THEORY CHALLENGED A controversial theory about the collapse
of the World Trade Center towers is about to be tested. According to a
leading fire-safety expert, had the fire insulation on the towers'
structural steel been thicker, the buildings would have survived longer, and
may even have remained standing. Page 14

DISEASED BRAINS ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THEMSELVES A New Zealand researcher has
found that the brains of people with Huntington's disease churn out new
brain cells at a far higher rate than normal in an attempt to repair the
damage. The discovery raises the possibility of developing drugs to
encourage cells to regenerate faster. Page 23

WINNING BY A NOSE IN THE RACE FOR STEM CELLS The nose could be a convenient
source of adult stem cells. While the most promising stem cells are still to
be found in bone marrow, extracting them is a serious procedure. Researchers
in Queensland now have identified stem cells in the nose, and they could be
collected in minutes. These cells can be grown in large numbers and turned
into heart, muscle and liver cells. Page 23

BLAME TADPOLES FOR HICCUPS At long last a team of researchers has come up
with an answer as to why we hiccup. It is an evolutionary throwback, they
say, to our gill-breathing ancestors. The brain circuit that makes us hiccup
also helps us take our first mouthful of milk. Pages 16

BANNED INSECTICIDE LINGERS ON Common fungicides could be to blame for the
puzzlingly high levels of DDT still found in some soils, according to New
Zealand researchers. They argue that the fungicides kill off the very
bacteria which are breaking down the DDT. Page 12

DON'T ADD E TO CANNABIS (short story) Ecstasy's stimulus does not help to
counteract the damage cannabis causes to short-term memory, say researchers
from the University of New England. Page 24

HIV FOCUS: BEATING THE ODDS How do some people at risk keep the HIV virus at
bay? WORLD WITHOUT AIDS Has the world's most devious virus finally met its
match? PROTECT AND SURVIVE Scientists in several countries are investigating
a completely different approach to AIDS prevention-microbicides. Pages 34-44

ANTIPODES: TROUBLE OVER THE LAND Ian Lowe looks at how to fix Australia's
poor past record of managing natural resources Page 55.

ELEPHANT SEALS ARE LONG-DISTANCE LOVERS Bull elephant seals can traverse
thousands of kilometres of Antarctic seas to build themselves a harem, a new
genetic analysis has found. Females, on the other hand, stay close to home
to breed. See also... Shortening cell life; Bush's war on AIDS; Europe
stamps on Microsoft's Passport. New Scientist's free public website at
http://www.newscientist.com

For information on how to view these articles on our Internet Press Site OR
for contacts and interviews, please contact Claire Bowles, New Scientist
press officer. Tel: +44 20 7331 2751 or Email: claire.bowles at rbi.co.uk
<mailto:claire.bowles at rbi.co.uk>

IN AUSTRALIA - Jo Garman: 02 9422 2897 or media at newscientist.com.au
IN NEW ZEALAND - Monica Dwyer: 09 625 3075 or mdwyer at gordongotch.co.nz