[ASC-media] Media release - Australian Frontiers of Science symposium

Australian Academy of Science scied at science.org.au
Wed Jul 30 13:45:08 EST 2003

Australian Frontiers of Science symposium

The Australian Academy of Science is holding its inaugural Australian Frontiers of Science symposium at the Shine Dome in Canberra on 31 July to 1 August 2003.

Modelled on the highly successful program run in the United States, the symposium brings together outstanding early- to mid-career researchers to present the latest in emerging science across a wide range of disciplines. The program includes presentations from 2002 Prime Minister's Science Prize winners Professor Marcela Bilek and Dr Joel Mackay, and will conclude with an interactive panel discussion chaired by the ABC's Dr Paul Willis.

Dr Jim Peacock, the Academy's President, says that involving more young researchers in the Academy's activities is important.

'The Academy recognises that the future of scientific research in Australia is in the hands of our young scientists', he said. 'We are keen to engage their talent and bring them together in a forum of cross-disciplinary collaboration.

'Scientific research today requires a multi-disciplinary team effort and there is a lot that we can learn by talking to scientists outside our disciplines. The Australian Frontiers of Science symposium provides a structure for our brightest young minds to do this'.

In addition, the Australian Academy of Science is inviting science teachers to attend.

'Science teachers are vital to building a strong science and technology base in Australia', Dr Peacock said. 'Teachers of science in our schools need the opportunity to update their knowledge of emerging and innovative scientific research. We believe that this symposium provides an exciting way for teachers to achieve this.'

Media are invited to attend the symposium at the Academy of Science's Shine Dome, commencing at 1.50pm on Thursday 31 July and concluding at 5.00pm on Friday 1 August.

The full program, including abstracts and brief biographies of speakers, is available on the Academy's website at http://www.science.org.au/frontiers2003/program.htm.

Further information is available from Marian Heard ph 02 6247 5777; 0409 515 449.