[ASC-media] 8 November - Radio Extra

Sapier, Jeff (RBI - AUS) Jeff at NewScientist.com.au
Thu Nov 6 08:42:48 EST 2003

RADIO EXTRA STORIES FROM 8 NOVEMBER 2003 ISSUE

URBAN VEGIE ALERT
American researchers say that edible vegetables grown in city gardens can
contain dangerous levels of lead. Their study showed that the majority of
lead was concentrated in the roots and shoots of plants, causing particular
concern for crops in which the root, stems, stalks or leaves are edible.
Page 17

OLDEST HUMAN CUSTOM?
Early humans knew a thing or two about dental hygiene. An American
palaeontologist says that our ancestors could have used grass stalks as
tooth picks - which would explain curved grooves seen on many ancient
hominid teeth. Page 10

STICKY DUST CLEARLY FINGERS THE CULPRIT
A new dust made of nanoparticles could reveal a much clearer fingerprint
than the powder currently used by police, say British researchers. The tiny
glass sphere nanoparticles are attracted to oil, so will fix tightly to even
the faintest of fingerprints. Page 17

A PHONE IN THE HAND
Short Story...A Japanese company has developed a wearable mobile phone that
turns your finger into an earpiece. You can pick up sound by sticking your
finger in your ear, while talking into a microphone on a wristband. Page 24

PLEASE MENTION NEW SCIENTIST AS THE SOURCE OF ALL ITEMS AND, IF PUBLISHING
ONLINE, PLEASE CARRY A HYPERLINK TO: http://www.newscientist.com
<http://www.newscientist.com>

For contacts and interviews:
Kristy Bain - Media Manager: Ph +61 (0)2 9422 2897 or
media at newscientist.com.au <mailto:media at newscientist.com.au>

PRESS CONTACTS IN THE UK:
For information on how to view these articles on our Internet Press Site, OR
for radio & TV interviews, please contact:-
Claire Bowles, NewScientist Press Officer, Tel: +44 (0)20 7331 2751 or
email: claire.bowles at rbi.co.uk <mailto:claire.bowles at rbi.co.uk>