[ASC-media] RADIO EXTRA - 15 NOVEMBER 2003

Sapier, Jeff (RBI - AUS) Jeff at NewScientist.com.au
Wed Nov 12 14:59:48 EST 2003

RADIO EXTRA: STORIES FROM 15 NOVEMBER 2003 ISSUE

GRANNY GORILLA KNOWS BEST
A captive female gorilla has been spotted teaching her daughter how to take
care of her newborn baby. The daughter had neglected her first baby, which
keepers at San Diego Wild Animal Park had to look after. But the grandmother
stepped in when the second baby was born to show the mother appropriate
maternal behaviour. Page 12

HELLO, WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND?
Whether you want to meet a business partner or soul-mate, intelligent tags
could provide those
ice-breaker questions often required at networking conferences or parties.
Called an nTag, each delegate's device is pre-programmed with their personal
information supplied earlier to the organisers. The tags communicate with
each other and then alert the wearer if they find the owners have anything
in common. Page 26

SIMPLY SURROUNDED
A home theatre system that produces surround sound with just a single
speaker has been unveiled by the US electronics company Nirotek. The system
packs five speakers into one speaker case and uses
a computer to manipulate the sound waves from the speaker to reproduce the
effect of ordinary surround sound. Page 24

IT'S NOT WHO YOU KNOW...
Want to influence a large number of people? It's not how many contacts you
have, but who you know with direct links to a large network of people. So
say a team of American mathematicians who developed an algorithm to identify
the most influential people in a network of 10,750 particle physicists. Page
14

THE BIG BLUE
Ocean planets could exist somewhere outside our solar system. No one has
seen one yet, but astronomers believe these huge shiny water worlds, with no
dry land, could be the best place in the galaxy to search for
extraterrestrial life. Pages 38-41

PLEASE MENTION NEW SCIENTIST AS THE SOURCE OF ALL ITEMS AND, IF PUBLISHING
ONLINE, PLEASE CARRY A HYPERLINK TO: http://www.newscientist.com
<http://www.newscientist.com>

For contacts and interviews:
In Australia: Kristy Bain - Media Manager:  +61 (0)2 9422 2897 or
media at newscientist.com.au <mailto:media at newscientist.com.au>
In New Zealand: Marion Karalus: +64 9 625 3075 or Mkaralus at gordongotch.co.nz
<mailto:Mkaralus at gordongotch.co.nz>

PRESS CONTACTS IN THE UK:
For information on how to view these articles on our Internet Press Site, OR
for radio & TV interviews, please contact:-
Claire Bowles, NewScientist Press Officer, Tel: +44 (0)20 7331 2751 or
email: claire.bowles at rbi.co.uk <mailto:claire.bowles at rbi.co.uk>