[ASC-media] Media Release 29 NOVEMBER 2003 ISSUE

Sapier, Jeff (RBI - AUS) Jeff at NewScientist.com.au
Wed Nov 26 17:36:58 EST 2003

STORIES FROM 29 NOVEMBER 2003 ISSUE

THE POWER OF MUSIC - Who could live without it? This week New Scientist has
a special section on the power of music:- Music affects us all in a very
powerful, emotional way - but why? Psychologist John Sloboda explains that
if you manipulate music in the ways in which speech is manipulated to
express emotion, then music sounds emotional too. And emotions kick in when
the environment around you changes in ways that are important to you
(falling in love, the death of a loved one). Pages 40-42
We also visit a music therapy centre to see how this vital form of
communication can heal. Page 43
And Michael Bond hears exactly how it feels to write music. He talks to the
Greek composer Vangelis, who wrote the scores for the films Blade Runner and
Chariots of Fire, as well as Mike Stock, part of the trio who wrote more
chart hits than anyone alive, Stock, Aitken and Waterman. Pages 44-49

A BODY REPAIR KIT FROM YOUR OWN BLOOD A small company in London called
TriStem, claims to be able to turn human blood cells into cells capable of
regenerating worn out, damaged or diseased tissues including heart, nerve,
muscle and bone. If TriStem's method really can produce such a wide range of
cells, its potential would be huge and could revolutionise medicine. The
company has so far provided proof that it can turn white blood cells into
the blood-generating stem cells found in bone marrow. Yet, their astounding
claims have been met with disbelief by researchers and experts.
Pages 6-7

FIRST GENE THERAPY APPROVED For the first time, a gene-therapy based
treatment has been approved by regulatory authorities. The cancer therapy
treatment, called Gendicine, has been approved by China's medicines
authority, after promising results on head and neck squamous cancers in a
clinical trial. Page 13

LONE PLANETS MAKE IT JUST LIKE STARS Planets can be spawned by the same
process that makes stars. Astronomers have discovered a developed planet
floating alone in a star nursery without a parent star. Until recently, it
was thought that planets only build up from gas and dust swirling around a
newborn star. Page 10

GENETIC PATTERN EMERGES Genes are not scattered randomly across our genome
as we thought. Instead, British biologists have shown that genes are
clustered according to their pattern of expression. Understanding the
benefits of genes being in certain stretches of DNA could one day help
biologists attempting gene therapy. Page 9

WILL EUROPE BE NEXT ON MOON? If you had billions to spend on sending humans
into space, where would you send them? When the European Space Agency posed
this question to a panel of independent experts, they were surprised by
their answer. The panel thought that while missions to Mars would be
exciting, trips to the Moon would be Europe's best bet. Page 9

THE SECRET IS OUT Cryptographers claim that the very first quantum network
will give 100 per cent security. Yet, the company responsible for the first
attempt at quantum communication is discovering potential hacks that
designers never even dreamed of. Pages 24-27

PLEASE MENTION NEW SCIENTIST AS THE SOURCE OF ALL ITEMS AND, IF PUBLISHING
ONLINE, PLEASE CARRY A HYPERLINK TO: http://www.newscientist.com
<http://www.newscientist.com>
For contacts and interviews:
In Australia: Kristy Bain - Media Manager:  +61 (0)2 9422 2897 or
media at newscientist.com.au <mailto:media at newscientist.com.au>
In New Zealand: Marion Karalus: +64 9 625 3075 or Mkaralus at gordongotch.co.nz
<mailto:Mkaralus at gordongotch.co.nz>

PRESS CONTACTS IN THE UK:
For information on how to view these articles on our Internet Press Site, OR
for radio & TV interviews, please contact:-
Claire Bowles, NewScientist Press Officer, Tel: +44 (0)20 7331 2751 or
email: claire.bowles at rbi.co.uk <mailto:claire.bowles at rbi.co.uk>