[ASC-media] Your link to the latest in Land and Water has arrived

Clare Peddie clare_peddie at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:03:04 EST 2003

Your link to the latest in Land and Water has arrived. Take a trip to Koo
Wee Rup Swamp and join our intrepid scientists in their quest to understand
the Mystery of the Mud. The dirt-flavoured detective stories continue, with
an account of why some things – and places – are better left undisturbed.
And we lift the lid on another earthy mystery, this time in Papua New
Guinea.

Read all about it: Land and Water Link, online.
http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/

Land and Water Link, November 2003

Murky Secrets Revealed

Where did all that mud in Western Port Bay (Vic.) come from? This mystery
has been investigated by nine scientists from CSIRO Land and Water. Read how
these scientists are not afraid to get their hands dirty in the cause of a
cleaner environment.

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page01.html

The Science Behind the Western Port Bay Sediment Study

Can you fingerprint a mud sample? More about our intrepid scientists in
their quest to understand the Mystery of the Mud.

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page02.htm

Good Oil for PNG Producers

Another earthy mystery, this time in Papua New Guinea. PNG’s valuable oil
palms are an important agricultural commodity – but some of them are getting
sick. CSIRO researchers are working with partners to find out why this is
happening and how it can be stopped. But what does this have to do with
earth?

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page03.htm

Pooling Water Resources

We all know how important water is, and how much we need to protect this
most precious resource. CSIRO has joined with partners in the water industry
to seek new ways to conserve and reuse our water. Find out about the new
program that will help us all to get a lot more out of our water.

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page04.htm

Feature Story: Why the Murray River Needs Help

Dr John Williams, Chief of CSIRO Land and Water, discusses how we can meet
the challenge of helping the mighty Murray River – and ourselves – to a
sustainable future

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page06.htm

Tropical Rivers Forum

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page07.htm

Safeguarding Dangerous Shores

The dirt-flavoured detective stories in this issue continue, with this
account of why some things – and places – are better left undisturbed.

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page08.htm

Pollution Beating Bugs

Although we may not all be fond of bugs, some of them can be extremely
useful. The beneficial microbes that munch pollution are certainly helpful –
and a team from CSIRO Land and Water tells us how.

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page10.htm

Groundwater Flows and Salinity

Did you know that there may be a river or a lake beneath your feet right
now? Groundwater flows are very complex – and a new publication informs us
how these flows can affect salinity. With this knowledge we can look into
new ways to plan for and manage the salinity problem in Australia.

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page11.htm

Global Role for CSIRO Irrigation Research

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page12.htm

CSIRO Irrigation Device Wins International Award

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/clw-link/clwlink-15/page13.htm

and check out the Image Gallery: http://www.clw.csiro.au/ImageGallery/
Clare Peddie
Communication Officer
CSIRO Land and Water
Waite Road, Urrbrae, South Australia
Postal address: PMB 2 Glen Osmond, SA 5064 Australia
Ph: +61 8 8303 8452 Fax: +61 8 8303 8550
Web: www.clw.csiro.au