[ASC-media] Fresh Science - is breast cancer caused by a virus?

David Vaux vaux at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Oct 1 17:51:22 EST 2003

I know that Niall and I disagree on a number of aspects in this matter,
and I dare say we will continue to do so.

I think that it is a valuable part of ASC to have this sort of debate.

I hope that Caroline Ford will not see this as a personal attack, even
though it is a very strong attack on her science.

I have challanged her to do the approriate controls - southern blots on
non-amplified genomic DNA - including the appropriate loading controls. If
she cannot confirm her PCR-based results she should retract her paper and
thereby join a small, but honourable and admirable group of scientists who
correct their own mistakes.

I will write to the editors of Clinical Cancer Research to alert them to
my concerns about the science in this paper.

The sequences Caroline Ford and her colleagues have produced by PCR are
100% and 99.5%  identical to mouse mammary tumor virus. They are not a
human homologue of MMTV, or any novel virus.   Because almost every lab
mouse and lab mouse cell line contains MMTV, the chances of contamination
are great. Contamination has to be shown not to have occured.

Back to the science communication angle where the facts are less certain.

When a gastroenterologist in the UK reported that he (incorrectly)
believed  MMR vaccine caused autism, it was covered widely in the press,
vaccination levels dropped, and children died from avoidable disease.  The
same happened when it was (wrongly) claimed that whooping cough vaccine
caused SIDS.  Reports that chlorinated water caused cancer led to use of
unchlorinated water in South Americal that resulted in thousands of deaths
from cholera.

I believe that scienctists have a responsibility to challenge reports that
they think are wrong when they are in the public domain and they think
they have the potential of causing harm, just as I believe that science
communicators have a responsibility to check their facts and consider the
wider implications of reporting a story that may not be correct.

Just by way of another situation in which there can be conflicts between
roles in promoting science, doing sceince and communicating science, is
when it enters the commercial arena. As ethical professionals, those
involved have to consider intellectual property, patents, publications,
share prices, market forces etc. as well as the joy, curiousity and
correctness of the science itself.

I think the ASC email list has been valuable in this debate, and further
discussions in the Redback and or in the Communicator would also be
worthwhile.

 Even if neither Niall nor I can be convinced to change our minds, I'm
sure many readers of this list will have had reason to pause for thought,
(and dare I add that Caroline Ford and her colleagues might include more
rigorous conntrols in their future experiments). If nothing else, these
would be worthwhile outcomes.

Cheers,

David Vaux