[ASC-media] Fresh Science - is breast cancer caused by a virus?]

David Vaux vaux at wehi.edu.au
Tue Oct 7 09:45:12 EST 2003

At the risk of going over old ground, I will state some of the principles
I have used in deciding my actions. (in no particular order)

In science communication, that the science is sound takes precedence over
the communication of it.

If claims are made as part of science in a public forum, criticism of them
must not be discouraged.

Just because something has been published in a peer reviewed journal does
not mean it must be correct.

All science, past and current, should be open to question and criticism.

Scientists who see incorrect statements made should be encouraged to rebut
them, and if these statements have the potential to cause distress, they
have the resposibility to correct them.

The validity of a scientific claim rests on the evidence, not on who
belives it.

Those seeking to promote and communicate science will do a better job if
they understand the science or seek advice from those who do.

I have asked Caroline Ford to perform southern blots of non-amplified
genomic DNA. This is an easy experiment and will resolve the issue one way
or the other. If she can confirm her PCR results, she will have made a
discovery of monumental proportions (that will also necessitate the
immediate quarantining of all people and animals carrying the MMTV virus).
If she cannot confirm the results she should retract her paper. Let the
data be the judge.

David Vaux