[ASC-media] Geoscience Australia: Spatial science comes to New England

Leharne.Fountain at ga.gov.au Leharne.Fountain at ga.gov.au
Wed Oct 22 11:41:58 EST 2003

Spatial science comes to New England

For immediate release 21 October 2003

Spatial scientists working in the Armidale/New England region during the week
will be checking the reliability and detail of topographic maps for all
Australians to use and enjoy.

As part of their five-day field verification and liaison trip to collect
information for topographic maps covering the region, the spatial scientists
from Geoscience Australia will meet with City, Shire and Municipal Councils
for Tamworth, Gunnedah, Moree Plains, Yallaroi, Inverell, Glen Innes,
Armidale Dumaresq, Coffs Harbour, Hastings, Port Macquarie and Walcha.  They
will also meet with the NSW Rural Fire Service, and National Parks & Wildlife
Services in Narrabri and Dorrigo.

"Geoscience Australia relies on organisations and individuals around the
country to provide extra information, based on their local knowledge of the
region, so as to maintain the high quality of its topographic maps," said
Rachelle Nevin.

While they are in Armidale, Rachelle and Matthew Barwick will also attend a
meeting of the North-East GIS User Group about the technology and processes
used by Geoscience Australia in its mapping programs.  The organisation
recently celebrated a significant milestone, having completed the mapping all
7,660,000 square kilometres of the entire continent in its 1:250 000 scale
topographic maps of Australia known as NATMAP 250K.

"While we travel around the region, we will be using digital software to
track our exact geographical location.  This allows us to identify any
inaccuracies that may exist on the maps, such as the location of roads,
mines, towers, homesteads, stations, water points and landing grounds," said
Matthew.

"The digital software includes a complete set of topographic maps known as
NATMAP Raster 250K and a portable Global Positioning System known as
OziExplorer which operates in a similar way to onboard navigation systems in
motor vehicles," said Matthew.

"The vast majority of mapping these days is done with the aid of satellite
imagery.  We use this in conjunction with additional information from
Commonwealth, State, Territory, local government and private sector agencies
and individuals to ensure that features such as water bodies, roads, parks
and reserves are accurately identified and positioned on our maps," said
Rachelle.

Geoscience Australia conducts field audits on a regular basis to ensure that
its mapping products are accurate and easy to use.

To arrange interviews with Rachelle and Matthew, or to obtain digital images,
please call Geoscience Australia's 24 Hour Media Hotline on
1800 882 035

Leharne Fountain | Communications Officer

Geoscience Australia

ph: +61 (0)2 6249 9800 | fx: +61 (0)2 6249 9990
24 hour media hotline: 1800 882 035

email: leharne.fountain at ga.gov.au
web: www.ga.gov.au

Postal: GPO Box 378 Canberra ACT 2601 AUSTRALIA
Physical: Cnr Jerrabomberra Avenue & Hindmarsh Drive Symonston ACT 2609