[ASC-media] NEWSCIENTIST RADIO EXTRA - 7 AUGUST 2004

Sapier, Jeff (RBI - AUS) Jeff at NewScientist.com.au
Thu Aug 5 11:38:59 EST 2004

RADIO EXTRA NEWSCIENTIST STORIES FROM 7 AUGUST 2004 ISSUE

DINGO EVE WENT FORTH AND MULTIPLIED All Australian dingoes may have
originated from a single pregnant female, according to a DNA analysis by
Swedish researchers. The finding backs the theory that islanders from
Southeast Asia brought the dog's ancestors to the continent about 5000 years
ago. Page 16

CAN THE CHAGAS PARASITE SNEAK INTO OUR GENES? The chagas, a protozoan
parasite responsible for about 50,000 deaths a year in Latin America, may
have developed a way to integrate segments of its DNA into our own. Until
now, only viruses were known to be able to do this. Page 9

RADIO CHIP HERALDS THE SMARTER HOME A wireless network designed to let
people remotely control every electrical device in their home is being
readied for launch next year by a group of large consumer electronics
companies. ZigBee radio technology could make the dream of a smart house a
reality. Page 22

HUMAN BSE-WHY IS A CURE SO ELUSIVE? Eighteen years after the human form of
mad cow disease emerged in the UK, we have little idea of how to treat
people. And researchers still privately disagree over which drugs show most
promise. Pages 12-13

TOE SNIPPING IS KILLING FROGS Clipping off toes as means of marking frogs
for identification in scientific studies may affect the animals' survival, a
Melbourne study has found. Page 15

MODIFIED MOUSES EASE THE STRAIN Scrolling through page after page of text on
a computer screen is often tedious as it involves repetitive pointing and
clicking with the mouse. It can also cause repetitive strain injury. US
inventors have suggested three different ways to avoid operating the mouse
with one hand. One idea moves the action to the feet. Page 21

FIRE DOWN BELOW No one questions that intense heat exists at the centre of
the Earth. According to an independent physicist, we are standing on an
enormous natural nuclear reactor several kilometres across. We may not be
able to journey to the centre of the Earth to have a look, but scientists
are building machines to detect the subatomic particles produced by
radioactive decay travelling out from the core. Pages 26-29

PHONE CALLS FOR FREE A mobile phone that can switch a call from a tolled
network to a free internet connection as the user nears a Wi-Fi hotspot was
launched by Motorola last week. It could slash telephone bills and severely
dent mobile network revenues. Page 20...see also P2P NETWORK CONNECTS PHONES
GLOBALLY A Luxembourg company is marketing a service which mimics internet
file-sharing networks and enables desktop computers to call conventional
telephones. It could have a massive impact on global telecommunications. New
Scientist's free public website at http://www.newscientist.com
<http://www.newscientist.com>

BLAST OF AIR SENDS FIREWORKS SKY HIGH A system using compressed air rather
than gunpowder to launch fireworks leads to perfectly timed explosions at
greater heights with less smoke. Page 21

TERRORIST CHARTER? Draconian copyright laws in the US have fuelled the
development of computer networks that aid and abet terrorists, says an
American computer scientist. Page 4

PLEASE MENTION NEWSCIENTIST AS THE SOURCE OF ALL ITEMS AND, IF PUBLISHING
ONLINE, CARRY A HYPERLINK TO http://www.newscientist.com
<http://www.newscientist.com>

For contacts and interviews:
Australia: 	Kristy Bain - Media Manager:  +61 (0)2 9422 2897 or
media at newscientist.com.au <mailto:media at newscientist.com.au>
New Zealand:	Marion Karalus: +64 (0)9 625 3075 or
Mkaralus at gordongotch.co.nz <mailto:Mkaralus at gordongotch.co.nz>
Europe (and for access to the press website):  Claire Bowles - Press
Officer: +44 (0)20 7331 2751 or claire.bowles at rbi.co.uk
<mailto:claire.bowles at rbi.co.uk>