[ASC-media] Media Alert: MPs join Bag Famine

JCA Media jcamedia at starclass.com.au
Tue Aug 10 10:02:25 EST 2004

NATIONAL SCIENCE WEEK 2004 MEDIA ALERT

EMBARGO: 1AM, August 11, 2004

DE-BAGGING AUSTRALIA'S POLITICIANS

What do Tony Abbot, Kevin Rudd, Bob Brown and Natasha Stott Despoja have in common?

They're among more than 100 Federal MPs and Senators who have taken the pledge to go a whole weekend without using plastic check-out bags.

The Federal politicians have joined the 48-hour 'Plastic Bag Famine' being run by National Science Week 2004 and Planet Ark.

The Bag Famine is being launched today (Aug 11, 9.45AM) by the Minister for Science, Hon. Peter McGauran in a media event outside Parliament House, Canberra.

"Australia uses 6.7 billion plastic check-out bags every year," says Planet Ark's founder Jon Dee. "We only use them for minutes, but they can last hundreds of years ands they kill huge numbers of wildlife."

"It's great that many of our Federal politicians are showing real leadership by taking the pledge to go without plastic bags for two days.

"We encourage electors to keep an eye on their local MP over the weekend of August 21-22 - to make sure that they don't use any plastic check-out bags!

"If they discover any backsliders, they can bag them on the Plastic Bag Famine website, at www.plasticbagfamine.com," says Mr Dee.

Organisers also want the community and media to join our politicians in going without their plastic bag fix. "We all need to say no to bags over the weekend," says Dee.

"The Plastic Bag Famine is a chance for Australians everywhere to prove to themselves that they can kick the bag habit," says Mr Dee.

"Communities like Coles Bay in Tasmania have already banned plastic bags in all their retail outlets," said Mr Dee. "Surely it's not too much to ask for people to ban them from their lives for just one single weekend?"

The Plastic Bag Famine kicks off at midnight Friday August 21 and runs until midnight Sunday Aug 22.  Anyone can take part.

More information:

Ruth Carr, National Science Week, 02 6205 0281
Mobile: 0407 781 891
E-mail: scienceweek at orac.net.au

Jon Dee, PlanetArk,	02 4782 7745 or 0414 971 900
E-mail: jon-dee at planetark.com

Website: www.PlasticBagFamine.com

For more events in National Science Week 2004, please visit:
Website:http://www.scienceweek.info.au/

National Science Week is supported by the Commonwealth Government Department of Education Science and Training (DEST) and the Department of Industry Tourism and Resources (DITR).