[ASC-media] Students have plenty to say about science - but are we listening?

Warrick.Glynn at csiro.au Warrick.Glynn at csiro.au
Mon Aug 16 09:01:29 EST 2004

Students have plenty to say about science - but are we listening?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This week around the country secondary school students will be tackling the big issues of science and society.

Finalists in CSIRO's 'Talking Up Science' public speaking competition will present their views to the public in the major capital cities. Topics such as space tourism, the role of science in terrorism and the link between prescription and recreational drugs will all get a run this week.

Students in years 10 to 12 were selected to compete in the finals on the basis of the written summaries of their talks.  They have five minutes in which to convince the audience and judges that they have researched their topic and that they have something of interest to contribute to the current debate.

"The quality of the presentations has been astounding in the past and judging by the summaries we've seen, this year will be no exception," says competition coordinator Warrick Glynn from CSIRO.

"Teenagers are far too often dismissed as not having anything of value to say." "Having heard students present their arguments in this competition over the past five years I know that that is far from the truth."

The finals are occurring as follows:

Western Australia

Monday 16th August 6pm
Science Theatre at Scitech Discovery Centre, West Perth

Contact: Natalie Warburton 08 9481 7231

Victoria

Tuesday 17 August, 11am-12:30pm,

The Age Theatre - Melbourne Museum, Carlton

Contact: Warrick Glynn 03 9662 7344, 0408 117 846

ACT

Wednesday 18th August, Morning
Discovery Centre, Canberra

Contact: Cris Kennedy 02 6246 5850

Queensland

Thursday 19th August, 10.30am - 11.30am
Theatre - Queensland Museum South Bank Brisbane
Contact: Cathy Pitkin 07 3214 2905, 0409 441 055

Tasmania

Tuesday 24 August, 7pm
Centenary Lecture Theatre,University of Tasmania, Sandy Bay

Contact: Stephen Knowles 03 6233 7889, 0408 128 409