[ASC-media] Media alert: Plastic Bag Famine starts tonight

JCA Media jcamedia at starclass.com.au
Thu Aug 19 23:27:36 EST 2004

NATIONAL SCIENCE WEEK 2004 MEDIA RELEASE

August 20, 2004

48-HOUR BAG FAMINE GETS UNDERWAY

Australians young and old are tonight preparing to kick one of the nation's worst addictions - plastic check-out bags.

>From midnight tonight, tens of thousands of people across the continent will be joining the 48-hour 'Plastic Bag Famine' - and going a whole weekend without using any plastic check-out bags.

The Plastic Bag Famine is organised by National Science Week and Planet Ark. because:
"	Australians use 6,400,000,000 plastic check-out bags every year.
"	We use a plastic bag for minutes, but it can last thousands of years.
"	Bags kill an estimated 100,000 marine animals and birds every year.
"	Every second, 270 plastic bags enter Australian landfills and the environment.
"	Less than 3% of plastic check-out bags are recycled.
"	Australia imports over 4 billion check-out bags every year.

"The 25,000 plastic bags you'll use in your lifetime were each used for minutes - but many will still be around when your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great- great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great- great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren arrive," says National Science Week director Ruth Carr.

"Communities like Coles Bay in Tasmania have already banned plastic bags in all their retail outlets," says Planet Ark's Jon Dee. "Surely it's not too much to ask for people to ban them from their lives for a single weekend?"

"The Plastic Bag Famine is a chance for Australians everywhere to prove to themselves that they can kick the bag habit," says Mr Dee.

"Federal MPs and Senators have also signed the bag pledge in large numbers, promising to abstain from using plastic bags at the check-out for the next 48 hours," says National Science Week director Ruth Carr.

"We encourage everyone to check up on their local MP over the weekend of August 21-22 - to make sure that they don't use any plastic check-out bags!

People wishing to take the pledge to give plastic bag-free shopping a go, just have to visit our website www.PlasticBagFamine.com to sign up and break their bag habit.

More than 25,000 people, in all States and Territories, have taken the Pledge already.

More information:

Ruth Carr, National Science Week, 02 6205 0281
Mobile: 0407 781 891
E-mail: scienceweek at orac.net.au

Jon Dee, PlanetArk,	02 4782 7745 or 0414 971 900
E-mail: jon-dee at planetark.com

Website: www.PlasticBagFamine.com

For more events in National Science Week 2004, please visit:
Website:http://www.scienceweek.info.au/

National Science Week is supported by the Commonwealth Government Department of Education Science and Training (DEST) and the Department of Industry Tourism and Resources (DITR).