[ASC-media] Work experience overseas

LM Smith s0094894 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 05:44:25 EST 2004

Dear All,

I am an English girl studying Biomedical Sciences at The University of
Edinburgh, Scotland.  I graduate this June & my plan is to get into Science
Communication.  I have a place on a Masters in Science & Communication course
commencing in 2005, but in the meantime I wish to go travelling & gain
relevant experience abroad.

I was wondering whether any of you know of any work experience schemes with
Science Magazines or any of your top Newspapers in Australia that I could
apply to? Or, do you have any recommendations of people/ publications that I
could approach to ask for a short placement? Would any of you be able to offer
me experience?

I am looking for a 1-2 week (or longer), unpaid placement, preferably with
a science reporter, although any reporting experience would be extremely
beneficial.  (I will not be in Australia until the 2nd half of this year but
I'd like to be able to set something up now).  If you could please send me any
suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Thankyou very much.

Yours,

Lucy Smith