[ASC-media] ACT talk by Liz Tynan, journalist

Sharyn Errington sharyn.errington at anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 20 12:14:20 EST 2004

Liz Tynan will be presenting a seminar on a new interdisciplinary
course in journalism she has been involved in at the University of
Tasmania. All ASC members (and others) are welcome to attend. Details
about Liz's background and a synopsis of her presentation follow.

When:	Thursday 29 January
Time:	5:30 pm
Venue:	ANU
	Physics Link Building (38A)
	Room G 2 (Social Psychology Lab)

_____________________________
Ms Liz Tynan
Lecturer in Journalism, University of Tasmania

Education
Bachelor of Arts in Professional Writing, Canberra College of
Advanced Education (now University of Canberra), completed in 1980.
Currently enrolled as candidate for MPhil at the Centre for Public
Awareness of Science, ANU.

Work
I began my career in 1981 in Sydney, and worked for over three years
as a journalist on the industry newspaper, Travelweek.  In 1984 I
transferred to Daily Commercial News as Parliament House
correspondent in Canberra.  After a short time, I moved to ABC Radio
and Television where I was trained as an electronic media reporter
and sub-editor.  At the ABC I developed an interest in reporting on
science and technology and when a position came up to edit a CSIRO
publication I took it.  This job, as editor of the CSIRO newspaper
CoResearch, changed the course of my career and launched me into
science journalism.  I stayed with CoResearch for nearly five years
and became heavily involved not only in science communication but
also lobbying. I went on to join the Australian National University
in Canberra as, first, science and technology correspondent and later
editor of the ANU Reporter as well as editor of the physics
publication Advance.  In 1997 I became a lecturer in journalism at
James Cook University in Townsville.  After two years there, I took
up an appointment as Sydney correspondent for New Scientist magazine,
to report science news for the London-based publication.  During this
time I also wrote extensively for The Veterinarian, before returning
to Townsville as science communication manager for the Australian
Institute of Marine Science (AIMS).  I joined UTas in February 2001.
Among my new tasks has been overseeing the establishment of a radio
station, Edge Radio 99.3FM.  Our station was named 2003 Radio Station
of the Year by the Community Broadcasters Association of Australia.

Teaching and research interests
I have taught a wide range of journalism subjects, as well as English
grammar and expression and aspects of literature.  At UTas, I teach:
online journalism; environmental journalism; public relations;
ethics; science journalism; radio journalism; and basic news skills.
My research interests lie in the development of science journalism in
Australia, the relationship of science to the media, as well as the
role of science as a cultural activity and how science communication
can best be taught.

__________________________

ABSTRACT
A new interdisciplinary unit, Writing About Science, was run for the
first time last year at the University of Tasmania.  It was co-taught
by lecturer in journalism Liz Tynan and English literature academic
Elle Leane. The unit was an experiment in marrying three different
disciplinary areas: English literature, journalism and science.
Combining these usually distinct fields of academic endeavour
presented a variety of challenges, from pedagogical issues such as
finding an assessment formula appropriate to the interdisciplinary
student body, through technical issues with a WebCT Scientific
Literacy survey used to gauge students' level of knowledge, to more
practical issues such as finding a timetable that suited both arts
and science students. This paper will outline the nature of this
unique unit, as well as its successes, lessons learned and plans for
future development. It will include discussion of the student intake;
the scientific literacy of the students as measured by the WebCT
survey; the use of guest lecturers from the science and science
journalism communities; assessment issues; and students' responses to
the unit.
--
Dr Sharyn Errington
Graduate Studies Convenor