[ASC-media] Big Answers to Big Questions: Water - Priceless or free?

Danielle Quinn Danielle.Quinn at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au
Mon Feb 21 16:20:58 EST 2005

Dear Sir/Madam,

During 2005, the Botanic Gardens Trust is running an exciting series of
public programs entitled 'Big Answers to Big Questions'.

Big Answers to Big Questions aims to present new perspectives on three
contemporary environmental issues-Water Sustainability, Heritage
Treescapes and Genetically Modified Organisms-through debates, evening
lectures, workshops, exhibitions, conferences and weekend festivals.

I would very much like to be able to send this information to recipients
on the ASC media email list. I have copied at the bottom of this email a
blurb that I hope will be appropriate. I have also expanded this to
detail some of the events we are holding. Please refer to our website
for more information on what we're about.

I believe that many of the events will be of interest to recipients of
your newsletter, who may like to attend or participate in some of our
events.

Please let me know if this is OK. I am a member of the ASC, although
usually registered under my personal email address rather than through
work. I can provide further information if required.

Thank you in anticipation.

Regards,

Danielle

'Big Answers to Big Questions'

During 2005, the Botanic Gardens Trust presents an exciting series of
public programs that aim to present new perspectives about contemporary
environmental issues.

'Big Answers to Big Questions' gives everyone the chance to contribute
to informed debate and become better informed about society's vital
environmental questions. The first hot topic, running through March and
April, is: 'Water - Priceless or free?' Events include debates,
lectures, workshops and weekend festivals. Further details from the BABQ
web site: http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/community_education/BABQ or
contact BABQ by email: babq at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au or phone: (02) 9231 8134.

Big Answers to Big Questions program of events

What:   Domain Debates - engage with expert speakers and have your say
on sustainable water use.

When:  Friday 4, 11, 18 Mar & 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 Apr, from 1pm

Where: The Domain (opposite the Art Gallery), Sydney

Cost:    FREE

What:   Evening Lecture - 'The Water Crisis' - Dr Noel Merrick of the
National Centre for Groundwater Management discusses global and local
water issues.

When:  Tue 15 Mar, 6 to 7:30 pm

Where: Maiden Theatre, Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney

Cost:    $11.00 incl. light refreshments

What:   Dinner Debate - Join celebrity MC Paul Willis (ABC's Catalyst)
and experts for dinner and water tastings as we debate 'Water: Priceless
or free?'

When:  Fri 8 Apr, 6 to 10:30 pm

Where: Pavilion on the Park, the Domain, Sydney

Cost:    $80 incl. dinner & drinks

What:   Walk on Water - Discover the Gardens' water-smart plants,
sustainable gardening practice and other innovations on this self-guided
walk.

When:  Tue 1 Mar to Sat 30 Apr, 10 am to 4 pm

Where: Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney - maps available at the Gardens'
shop

Cost:    FREE

What:   Stunning Gardens with Less Water - Plan a beautiful garden using
sustainable water practices in this special workshop.

When:  Sun 3 Apr, 10 am to 12 noon

Where: Eden Garden Centre, North Ryde

Cost:    $45 incl. notes & refreshments

Bookings & information: (02) 9491 9900

What:   Big Water Weekend - Workshops and demonstrations, theatre, kids'
activities and water-based entertainment for the whole family.

When:  Sat 19 & Sun 20 Mar, 10 am to 4 pm

Where: Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney - enter via the Woolloomooloo Gate

Cost:    FREE

What:   Council workshop - Applying water saving practices in gardens
and nurseries; aimed at local government environmental and
sustainability officers.

When:  TBC

Where: TBC

Please contact BABQ to express interest in attending or receiving
further information: babq at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au

Danielle Quinn

Community Education Officer
Botanic Gardens and Public Programs

Botanic Gardens Trust

Royal Botanic Gardens
Mrs Macquaries Road
Sydney NSW 2000

t: +61 (2) 9231 8331
f: +61 (2) 9251 4403
m: 0418 458 940
e: danielle.quinn at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au
<mailto:danielle.quinn at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au>
w: www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au <http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/>

The Botanic Gardens Trust is part of Dept Environment & Conservation
(NSW)

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender.  Views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender and are not necessarily the view of the
Botanic Gardens Trust.