[ASC-media] I'll raise you a bilby for your cassowary

Jenni Metcalfe jenni at econnect.com.au
Mon Nov 28 18:49:25 EST 2005

Biodiversity trading: environmental saviour or disaster?

Can we trade in biodiversity the way we trade in commodities or - more recently - carbon and pollution?

Trading is already happening in the US but everyone has a different take on it. Some people argue that biodiversity trading is essential for wise development of coastal Australia while others believe it is morally obnoxious.

Could biodiversity trading be open to exploitation?

Are we ready to decide that some habitats are more important that others?

These and other questions will be answered over a beer at the Pub Ecology event at the Red Room, the University of Queensland.

Media are invited to attend the event held at 7pm on Tuesday, 29 November - see map at http://www.uq.edu.au/maps/index.html?menu=1 for directions.

Speaking at Pub Ecology will be:

Hugh Possingham is a Professor of Ecology and Chair of Australia's Biological Biodiversity Advisory Committee, 07 3365 9766, h.possingham at uq.edu.au

Louisa P Mamouney is with the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation 02 9995 6150, Louisa.mamouney at environment.nsw.gov.au

John Quiggan is a Federation Fellow in Economics and Political Science at the University of Queensland, 07 3346 9646 j.quiggin at uq.edu.au

The event is free and you can join in the pub raffle to win great prizes.

For media assistance contact: Michelle Riedlinger, Econnect Communication, 07 3846 7111, 0400 577 843, michelle at econnect.com.au

Jenni Metcalfe
Director
Econnect Communication