[ASC-media] BETTER BREEDS FASTER/WHEAT GUIDE: GRDC

Brendon Cant brendon at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 22 08:26:06 EST 2005

BETTER BREEDS FASTER - Formation of Barley Breeding Australia (BBA) by GRDC,
WA Department of Agriculture, SA Research & Development Institute, NSW and
Victorian Departments of Primary Industries and Fisheries and the University
of Adelaide will double the size of Australia's 6.6 million tonne barley
industry to satisfy demand increases by 2020.

GRDC has outlined its plan for consolidation of grains R&D that is a key to
delivering the anticipated massive growth.

Terry Enright, GRDC Chairman, said aligning plant breeding programs across
Australia would deliver better varieties faster and was a way that we could
position the industry better to meet this challenge and maximize returns.

"We face a constantly changing grains industry and we need to move quickly,
positively and differently to keep ahead of our competition," Mr Enright
said.

Contact: Terry Enright, Mob 042 795 8015

WHEAT GUIDE - A wheat guide to help growers understand the markets they
interact with aims to provide growers with greater awareness of the value of
their wheat.

The booklet, Wheat Products Guide, was prepared for the GRDC by BRI
Australia and provides a detailed understanding of present and future wheat
products and the markets that demand them.

"Understanding where and what your wheat is used for is an important first
step in ensuring you continue to produce the quality wheat your customers
require," GRDC Managing Director, Peter Reading said.

The Wheat Products Guide is $20 from Ground Cover Direct (Freecall 1800 110
044).

Authorised by GRDC and issued on its behalf by Brendon Cant & Associates,
Tel 08 9385 7779