[ASC-media] E=mc^2, PM and Fresh Science prizes and other science stories

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com
Mon Sep 26 22:36:45 EST 2005

Dear ASC media members

I'm writing to give you a heads up on some science stories this week and in
the coming weeks. Some of these are our stories, others are from people
we're working with.

Please check below for contact details on each story.

 - Tomorrow E=mc2 is 100 years old - and David Jamieson says it's time for
us to make better use of this beautiful equation - for cleaner energy - op
ed available online.

 - EyeSim wins Fresh Science - South Australia's Tim Nelson wins with his
eye simulator for training doctors. Natalie Sinn wins the people's choice
for research into fish oil to treat attention deficit disorder

 - UK astronomer and physicist Malcolm Longair visiting Australia from 24
October

 - PM's Science Prizes Tuesday 4 October - winners' details available on
embargo - contact me for more info

 - The future of physics - free media breakfast forum, Questacon Canberra on
5 October. (We're holding this as a PM's Science Prize after-party)

- $15,000 Einstein Year arts prize open for entries - organised by Macquarie
University

- World conference of Science Journalists - long term planning - we've set
the dates for Science in Melbourne 2007 - the international meeting of
science journalists - 16 to 19 April 2007

 - Send a Thank You to Australia's health and medical researchers - Research
Australia's "Thank You" Day is 7 November. From 10 October there will be
health and medical stories around the country.

 - Cancer and heart disease - Australians want significantly more investment
poured into finding better treatments, preventions and cures for the two
leading killer diseases in Australia according to a poll commissioned by
Research Australia.

And Einstein does Koondrook Barham Show (NSW) with a physics tent - if only
the Melbourne Show would do the same. There's a solar system display, plasma
balls, a physics mini-movie and a rollercoaster design competition.

For a full bulletin of Einstein Year activities in October, go to
www.einstein2005.org.au

Happy birthday E=mc^2

It powers the sun, and therefore life on Earth. It's become an icon of its
time - recognised by most of us.

But are we wasting the opportunity to use the awesome power of E=mc^2 to
create a more sustainable future through fission and ultimately fusion
power.

Tomorrow (Tuesday 27 September) is the 100th anniversary of Einstein's
fourth publication and the most well-known scientific formula in the world.

This discovery was like finding a Philosopher's Stone - it's helped us
understand atomic transformations and sent us exploring everywhere from
inside stars (nuclear fusion) to inside our own bodies (medical imaging).
You encounter its effects every time you feel the sunlight on your face.

David Jamieson says it's time to seriously consider using it for energy
generation - the nuclear option. He's available to chat about the ideas, and
he's written an op ed which is available online at
http://www.scienceinpublic.com/e=mc2.htm

Call me for more information niall at scienceinpublic.com or 03 5253 1391.

Prime Minister's Prizes for Science

The five Prizes will be presented on 4 October - two Prizes for teachers,
two to early career achievers and the PM's Prize itself. The Prizes will be
strictly embargoed but please contact me for early access to information -
niall at scienceinpublic.com or 03 5253 1391.

Fresh Science Prize-winners announced

Timothy Nelson of Flinders University has won the British Council Study Tour
prize for his development of an eye simulator for use in training doctors.
This prize is awarded to the finalist who best meets the objectives of the
Fresh Science program - that of communicating their research in an
understandable, relevant and accessible way. Timothy will go on a study tour
to the UK and present his work at the Royal Institution, courtesy of the
British Council Australia.

Natalie Sinn has won the People's Choice award, judged by her peers and the
audiences she presented to during National Science Week.  Natalie's work on
using fish oil to treat ADHD may make a difference for many families.
Natalie has won a year's subscription to NewScientist magazine.

For interviews:
Timothy Nelson on (08) 8201 5023, 0400 595 109, Tim.Nelson at flinders.edu.au
Natalie Sinn on 0422 939 824, natalie.sinn at csiro.au More information on
their stories, the prizes and about Fresh Science at www.freshscience.org or
contact Sarah Brooker sarah at scienceinpublic.com or
0413 332 489

Heads up: Malcolm Longair is visiting in October.

Malcolm Longair is an astrophysicist and astronomer from the UK, head of the
Cavendish Laboratory.  He's in Australia giving lectures from October 24th -
27th as part of the Einstein Year celebrations.

Malcolm is the author of popular astronomy and space books such as "Our
Evolving Universe" and "Alice and the Space Telescope", as well as the
soon-to-be-released "The Cosmic Century". He's given the Royal Institution's
Christmas Lectures for Young People, and is passionate about what he calls
"the young sciences" of astronomy and astrophysics. He will be available for
media interview during his tour.

Further details: Sarah Brooker 0413 332 489 or sarah at scienceinpublic.com

$15,000 prize for the art of physics

A new art prize looks for artworks that express the ideas and concepts of
physics, organised by Macquarie University Art Gallery. Head of Physics
Professor Deb Kane says "What I personally most wish I could see is
something meaningful that I don't already have the ability to imagine. I'd
love to see mathematical ideas represented artistically in a way which would
have me as a physicist standing there going 'Yes, I get it!'."

The prize is currently open for submissions, and the exhibition will be held
in December.

Media Contact: Fiona Crawford, (02) 9850 9658, fiona.crawford at mq.edu.au

Send a Thank You to Australia's health and medical researchers

Australians are encouraged to send personal messages of thanks to the
researchers whose efforts are special to them. These messages are a unique
opportunity for the community to show their appreciation, and recognise and
inspire our researchers to continue to strive for vital discoveries that
will help us lead longer, healthier lives.

Messages can be sent from 10 October to 10 November via www.thankyouday.org
or SMS to 0428THANKS. Research Australia's "Thank You" Day is the 7th of
November.

Also, a few weeks ago Research Australia released their annual public
opinion poll. The survey, this year conducted by Crosby Textor, shows cancer
is the single major disease striking fear in the hearts of Australians. Two
in three (64%) want a significant increase in funding for cancer research,
compared to one in four (23%) who want additional resources for heart
disease research.

More information: http://thankyouday.org/ or Jackie Crossman, 02 9356 4519,
0402 218 662

And for all stories feel free to contact me - 03 5253 1391 or
niall at scienceinpublic.com

Kind regards,

Niall

Ph +61 3 5253 1391