[ASC-media] Hype and Hoops

jtyler at scibizmedia.com.au jtyler at scibizmedia.com.au
Tue Aug 1 01:32:18 CEST 2006

  Rob Morrison's latest piece in Australasian Science (Aug 2006)
'Excessive Hype Debases Science Communication' got me thinking.

I agree with Rob that 'breakthrough' reporting does little for the
science report, but I also remember that when we were all in
journalism school (and the older of us were copy people in the
newsroom), the only way to get science into the news was to
'outcompete the daily sensation'. We were taught the home in on a
single, 'hard news' angle if it was to find column centimetres.

For decades this has guided how science gets bundled into the media.
With the wholescale decline in dedicated science reporters in the
daily news media, this has become even moreso.

On the other hand, there has been a spectacular rise in the number of
science communicators at research centres. Having fought for
maintianing science in the daily media for more than a decade, ASC
has been fighting the good fight in getting science communication as
a profession recognised. Somewehere in this timeline, grant providers
have determined that all research should carry promotions as part of
the grant conditions.

Tied up with this, as Rob correctly says, research organisations need
to self promote more, both to satisfy granting bodies and to attract
private funds and students. Hence the rise in science communicators
being hired by research organisations - one of our profession's
largest growth areas.

And now science communicators, as opposed to the daily media, are
being labeled as 'spinners'.

Having jumped through the hoops to get into the media, 'spin' has now
become the latest reason why we still have a relatively insignificant
amount of science news in our daily media. Seems we've changed hoops.

I agree with Rob - assertions by the media editors about breakthrough
reporting and its impact on science in the media need testing. How
organisations handle the media needs clarification.

Guidelines and style manuals are desperately needed, and ASC
initiative in these areas is to be applauded. In some part, these are
our latest hoops - and I would say these are as much driven by the
lack of response by media editors as much as by our own sense of
needing a profession-wide standard.

Iin the context of a decline in science rounds in the daily media,
there is no sensible rationale for why science doesn't get into the
media more.

It's time that the media came to the table to talk about giving
science the coverage it deserves in the daily media.

------
Jess Tyler
SciBiz Media

publicity • media • science conferences • training

M: 0408 298 292
E: jtyler at scibizmedia.com.au
www.scibizmedia.com.au

PO Box 71