[ASC-media] FW: Hype and Hoops

Bruce Wright bruce.wright at greenhouse.crc.org.au
Tue Aug 1 05:47:08 CEST 2006

Dear ASCers

The managers and editors and reporters and subeditors in the mass media are
not much interested in what coverage sicence or anything else 'deserves';
they are interested only in what their readers and potential readers in
their chosen market segment (or listeners or viewers, depending on the
media) want.

Editors are expected to produce newspapers that sell. Reporters are expected
to write stories that readers will buy newspapers for. Any view of what
'deserves' coverage, which must be subjective anyway, matters not a jot in
the decision-making of most newsrooms. While many editors will politely
listen (particularly those in smaller communities), the mass of editors of
our daily media are not going to "come to the table to talk about giving
science the coverage it deserves."

So if we want science to get a better run in the daily media, we will have
to present it in ways that convince editors that their
readers/listeners/viewers want it. And, yes, we'll have to continue to
resist boasting of non-existent breakthroughs - look for the hard news angle
but keep it factual. Make it relevant to their readers/listeners/viewers.

Life's tough. On both sides of the fence. Sorry.

Bruce Wright
PS: And, as a former newspaper editor, can I say that the testing of
assertions of editors about what works and doesn't occurs every day - it's
the circulation report. Editors whose assertions are not confirmed by the
circulation report become very uncomfortable very quickly.