[ASC-media] FW: Hype and Hoops and what we do

Rob Morrison rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
Tue Aug 1 06:38:45 CEST 2006

MessageIt has been interesting of late to see and hear various strategies
outlined for getting more science into the media. The issue of a separate
science and technology section in papers surfaces quite often.

These newspaper sections are almost invariably financed (with the possible
exception of Arts sections) by relevant advertising, so, for example, the
'Media 'and 'Aviation' sections of newspapers tend to be self-sufficient
through the media and aviation advertising that they carry.

I am told by editors that science and technology bodies simply don't
advertise, or not enough, so the prospect of having a science and technology
section is remote.

I am not sure this matters. I'd prefer to see science and technology stories
within the main body of the papers, and not in a section that can be as
easily removed and discarded unread, as is my sport section. I'd also  like
the message to be there that science is not 'separate' but an integral part
of life, as deserving as any other to be mainstream news.

What I  would far prefer to see would be the nomination of a science
reporter, even if this is part-time, and has to embrace science, technology
and environment. I held such a postion in TV news for 10 years, and it  is a
good mix.

The appointment of such a person could mean:

1. The paper  (or other media outlet) takes science seriously enough to make
such a nomination
2. The editor is at least in principle ready to accept (or consider)
science news from such a person
3. The journo so appointed has more incentive to hunt out and present
science stories to the editor and make science contacts
4. The science journo has more reason to worry about the accuracy of science
stories that he or she writes
5. Those of us with stories to pitch know we have a first port of call more
likely to listen than a random journo

Perhaps we should, as ASC, start a campaign to have a
science/technology/environment correspondent in every major media outlet,
even if only a part-time one.

Since the advent of the Aust Science Media Centre, the Adelaide Advertiser
has been running more and more science, even a regular weekend column (very
good) and has now appointed a science reporter, with further science stories
finding an outlet as a consequence. The editor sits on the AusSMC Board,
which I am sure has a bit to do  with it, but so do the senior editors of
quite a few other media organisations.

I would think the time is ripe for the ASC to write to the AusSMC requesting
a joint approach to all major media outlets to appoint a science and
technology correspondent.

In return, I think we could offer a lot, such as the very considerable
support and contacts of the Centre, plus direct distribution of media
release mailouts from the ASC and its member, inclusion in Science Week
planning etc etc..

I am sure we could develop an attractive proposal. At the very least, we
would get useful feedback.

Rob

Dr Rob Morrison
email: rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au