[ASC-media] Cafe Scientific - Brisbane

Melanie McKenzie Melanie at econnect.com.au
Tue Aug 1 09:18:45 CEST 2006

Cafe Scientific Presents...
GENE DREAMS OR GENE SCHEMES - Are geneticists working to improve the
quality of our lives or the quantity of their research grants?!
7pm, Tuesday 8 August 2006
The Red Room
University of Queensland, St Lucia Campus

As part of the 11th International Congress on Human Genetics,
Brisbane with Nobel Laureate Sir John Sulston and special guests

With the cracking of the final human chromosome this year, the entire
human genome has now been sequenced and the field of genetics is
poised to dominate every aspect of our lives. New genetic discoveries
are constantly being made which, it is claimed, could help predict
anything from a person's IQ to their sporting prowess, propensity to
develop cancer or alcoholism, or even the ability to use chopsticks!
But will we ever have the technical know-how and the big bucks to
turn these dreams into a reality - and do we really want to? Come
along, ask a question and learn something new.

Hosted by Bernie Hobbs, ABC Science (contactable for interview on
0408 193 565)

With special guests:

SIR JOHN SULSTON
Sanger Centre Cambridge, Nobel Laureate, Human Genome Project

DR KRIS BARLOW-STEWART  (contactable for interview on 0417 487 028)
Director of the Centre for Genetics Education, Royal North Shore
Hospital, Sydney

PROFESSOR JOHN BURN
Executive Director of the Life Knowledge Park, UK and Head of the
Institute of Human genetics

DR KEN STOREY
Canada Research Chair, Molecular Physiology, Carleton University in
Ottawa, Canada.

Free, no bookings

For transport from Brisbane Convention Centre – walk to South Bank
Parklands Ferry Terminal 1 or 2 for City Cat to UQ at 5.41pm or 6.08pm

(Café Scientific is a partnership between ABC Science, New Scientist
magazine and British Council Australia)