[ASC-media] Sydney: Scinema film fest exercises eyes and brains in Ultimo

Shore, Jesse JesseS at PHM.GOV.AU
Wed Aug 2 07:24:24 CEST 2006

Scinema film fest exercises eyes and brains

>From the geometry of the ancient Greeks to the discovery of radioactivity; from creating winter Olympic champions to understanding the mass extinctions that almost killed life on Earth; from the birth of writing in Mesopotamia to how sound is decoded in the human brain - CSIRO's Scinema 2006 is the 6th International Festival of Science Film and Multimedia.

Since its launch in 2000, Scinema has played to tens of thousands of people around Australia. For the first time this year, the competitive component of this travelling festival will be hosted in Sydney during National Science Week (Aug 12-20). The finalists - 45 films from around the world - will compete for 15 trophies, to be selected by a jury of science journalists and filmmakers, chaired by the editor of Cosmos magazine Wilson Da Silva. Awards will include Best Film, Best Australian Science Television, Best Animation and Best Multimedia.

Films range from Crossing the Line, about two middle-class medical students who are thrust into a remote islander community, to an investigation of the link between toxic pollutants and the health of our planet in Future Conditional. Other highlights include: a special Kids Science TV session and films around the themes of Space; Health; Inventions and Wildlife at Risk.

Filmmakers, who will be on hand to present their movie and take audience questions, include:

Paul Scott, Devil Diary - Tasmanian Devils as you've never seen them before at the world's largest sanctuary for this feisty feral. At 12.30pm, Saturday August 12, Coles Theatre at the Powerhouse Museum (500 Harris Street, Ultimo).

Joachim Pütz, Tree of Kings - About the dying craft of making cloth from the Ugandan Mutuba tree and its journey from Africa to the catwalks of Europe. At 12.30pm, Sunday August 13, Coles Theatre at the Powerhouse Museum.

Ben Ulm, When Anaesthesia Fails - Anaesthetists around the world try to crack the mysteries of anaesthesia. Patients who regained consciousness during surgery relive their nightmarish experiences. At 7.30pm, Friday August 18, UTS Broadway (University Hall, Science Building, Level 1, Harris Street Ultimo).

Dick Collingridge, Steam Motion. A labour of love on the history of steam power in Australia produced by the son of Australia's pioneer silent film actor, Gordon Collingridge. At 10am, Sunday August 20, UTS Broadway.

Plus senior scientists from CSIRO's Australia Telescope National Facility will be on hand for the Catalyst in Space session, featuring films from ABC TV's Catalyst about Saturn and Titan, at 11.30am on Sunday August 20 at the Powerhouse Museum.

Scinema's screenings will be held on August 12, 13, 18, 19 and 20. Screenings at the Powerhouse are free with museum entry (adults $10, children $5, conc $6) and a festival pass is available on request. Screenings at UTS are free.

For a program, see www.csiro.au/scinema. Media contact: Quick Thinking Communications on 0403 343 275 or qtcom at optusnet.com.au

Scinema, a major National Science Week event, is shown in Sydney as part of the Ultimo Science Festival. Scinema and the Ultimo Science Festival are supported by the Australian Government as part of National Science Week. The festival is also supported by the City of Sydney and the NSW Office of Science & Medical Research.

Dr Jesse Shore
Senior curator, Sciences
Powerhouse Museum
PO Box K346