[ASC-media] Fight the moth

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Wed Aug 9 01:27:14 CEST 2006

Time for some intelligence in the war on the cotton bollworm

Indian and Australian scientists unite for the fight

With Australian help, Indian farmers are fighting back against the
world's worst agricultural pest-the cotton bollworm-which costs $5
billion a year worldwide.

The farmers are reducing the use of insecticides by about a half, while
increasing crop yields by 11 per cent and profitability by 75 per cent.

But the bollworm is rapidly evolving resistance to the insecticides. New
weapons are needed and researchers say it's time to design these weapons
using the best intelligence available-the genome.

For an investment of only $10 million, agricultural biotechnologists can
help farmers turn the tide in the war against this expensive pest.

'That's all it would take, says A/Prof Phil Batterham of Melbourne's Bio
21 Institute, to unravel the complete genome sequence of the bollworm
moth, which infests more than 100 species of agricultural and
horticultural crop plants all over the world.

The genome could then be screened to determine what genes make the
bollworm resistant to pesticides, and where the pest is most vulnerable
to attack. The genetic data could also be used to understand the
population structure and track the movements of the bollworm, essential
information for planning an effective attack on the insect.

"The bollworm is the number one pest confronting global agriculture,"
Batterham told the Agricultural Biotechnology International Conference
(ABIC) at the Melbourne Convention Centre.

"You wouldn't normally go to war against such an enemy without knowing
where he's vulnerable, what his defences are, and who our allies are.
But that's what we do in fighting this pest."

He says that much of the intelligence we need is contained in the genome
sequence."

Batterham's research group is acknowledged as a world leader in fighting
the pest. Working with the Max Planck Institute in Germany and partners
in India, China and France, the group has already been able to identify
the genetic basis of resistance to some insecticides. And they can
predict where in the genome resistance genes are likely to occur.
Batterham announced at ABIC that a particular gene-Dalpha6 confers high
level resistance to a widely used insecticide, spinosyn.

The Bio 21 Institute team has been joined by Dr Derek Russell who has
spent the past ten years leading a research effort in India, China and
Pakistan, specifically aimed at practical measures to reduce insecticide
use against the bollworm. In recent years the levels of pesticide
employed have been so great they were making cotton growing uneconomic
across large parts of Asia, and were affecting the health of farmers.

The research has led to a national control program, now involving more
than 1000 field workers all over India. By determining the most
effective sprays and times for spraying in different areas and rotating
the different sprays to minimise the development of insecticide
resistance, the program has reduced the use of insecticides by about a
half, while increasing crop yields by 11 per cent and profitability by
75 per cent. The group recently won an award for being the best Indian
Government science team.

"We had all the gumboot experience of fighting the bollworm in the
field," says Russell, "but not the laboratory backup we needed, the edge
that biotechnology can give us. But we have now joined with what I
regard as the strongest molecular science group working on the problem
anywhere in the world."

Batterham and Russell believe that, from their biotechnology
intelligence unit, to the research workers, and the network of advisers
working with farmers, they have made great strides in the war against
the bollworm. But much more could be achieved if they could design a new
generation of weapons using the genome sequence of the bollworm.

For further information contact Phil Batterham on (0418) 598 562
p.batterham at unimelb.edu.au or visit http://www.FightTheMoth.org

___________

Niall Byrne

Science Communication Consultant
Science in Public
PO Box 199 Drysdale 3222 Australia
(185 Scotchmans Road Portarlington 3223) Ph +61 3 5253 1391, fax +61 3
9923 6008, mobile 0417 131 977
niall at scienceinpublic.com or niallprivate at scienceinpublic.com for
personal matters
www.scienceinpublic.com