[ASC-media] SEA WHAT I MEAN/SPRING IN THEIR STEP AT CORRIGIN: GRDC Grain Flashes

Brendon Cant brendon at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 10 08:20:48 CEST 2006

SEA WHAT I MEAN - Improved tolerance to waterlogging and dryland salinity
has been achieved by introducing into the wheat genome all seven chromosomes
from sea barley grass.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

The GRDC supported research, conducted by the Co-operative Research Centre
for Plant-based Management of Dryland Salinity, has demonstrated wild
species, such as sea barley grass, can be crossed with wheat.

Project leader, Dr Tim Colmer said it was a huge step forward and work is
underway to see whether it could lead to a new cereal in itself.

In the long term, Dr Colmer hopes the research leads to the development of a
high quality wheat variety that can be grown on saline land.

"In WA alone, waterlogging and salinity adversely affects 1.8 million
hectares of crops and pastures," he said.

Contact: Dr Tim Colmer, Tel 08 6488 1993

SPRING IN THEIR STEP AT CORRIGIN - Livestock management and crop diseases
and pests will be discussed at the Corrigin Farm Improvement Group (CFIG)
2006 Spring Field Walk, on Thursday September 21.

Richard Guinness, President of the GRDC-supported CFIG, said while topics
and speakers were still being finalised, this year's spring walk would
include a focus on crop and livestock management after a tight first half of
the season.

"We will look at grain marketing options for this year's crop, probably have
a bit more on livestock than we had last year due to the season and look at
a strategy to manage stripe rust in wheat after it was detected at Esperance
last month," he said.

"We will also have something on how to manage an expected locust plague this
year."

Contact: Richard Guinness, Tel 08 9065 7045

 Authorised by GRDC and issued on its behalf by Brendon Cant & Associates,
Tel 08  9384 1122