[ASC-media] PREPARING FOR FUNGAL FIGHT/DRIVING PRODUCTIVITY:GRDC Grain Flashes

BRENDON CANT brendon at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 20 02:20:21 CET 2006

PREPARING FOR FUNGAL FIGHT - GRDC has commissioned a high profile
international plant pathologist, Dr Derek Hollomon of Bristol University, to
assess the risk of certain crop diseases becoming resistant to fungicides.

GRDC Western Panel member, Ralph Burnett said the GRDC is taking a proactive
approach to a possible problem by seeking the services of Dr Hollomon, who
was a leader in the formation of a fungicides resistance action committee in
Europe.

"We are assessing where we stand in regard to fungicides, with particular
emphasis on wheat and barley. We want a management strategy in place before
the problem starts occurring," Mr Burnett said.

Dr Hollomon said that there was a high risk of resistance among powdery
mildews, whereas rust had a low risk.
Contact: Ralph Burnett, Tel 08 9842 8963

DRIVING PRODUCTIVITY - A new GRDC supported ABARE report that investigates
the drivers of productivity differences between individual grain farms
revealed moisture availability was the main influence, although largely
beyond growers' control.

ABARE Executive Director, Phillip Glyde said that after the moisture
availability effects were removed, the Australian grains industry had an
annual underlying productivity improvement of 2.6 per cent (16 year average
1988-89 to 2003-04).

"This is considerably less than the 3.8 per cent improvement in the 17 years
to 1993-94," he said.

The analysis revealed the factors likely to influence individual farm
productivity were diverse and included human, physical, financial and
natural capital variables.

Contact: Phillip Glyde, Tel 02 6272 2100

Authorised by Grains Research & Development Corporation (GRDC)
 and issued on its behalf by
Brendon Cant & Associates, Tel 08 9384 1122