[ASC-media] RE: [ASC-list] RE: science communication jobs in UK!

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Mar 3 08:31:38 EST 2006

I'm with Fiona on this one.

PR is like the irregular verbs - I'm a freedom fighter, he's a terrorist.

I'm in science communication, you're in pr, he's a liar.

Many of the subscribers to this list are in PR - we just don't like to admit
it - largely because we do honest PR about things we think are true and
matter.

PR is tarnished by all those other people telling us that Telstra is
wonderful, and Qantas is Australian, that junk food adverts don't target
children, and that black is white.

So we don't like using the words PR.

I use different descriptions to different audiences - sometimes I'm a
science writer, sometimes a science communicator, sometimes science
publicist (I quite like that one), sometimes "I do PR - but for science
organisations".

I like the honesty of the "Proof" boys. I met them in London last year and
it's great to see them applying the full force of PR to their work in
science communication. It's also good that they are continuing their
interest in recruiting Aussie writers.

Secondly,

No, good science journalists do not need science training. I think they need
a passion for the science in addition to their journalism skills.

Nor do political journalists need degrees in political science, nor health
reporters a medical degree (though there are some very good reporters who do
have these skills).

Nor do sports commentators have to be athletes. Though there is a worrying
precedent that suggests that football commentators need to own a club.

Many of Australia's best science journalists have no tertiary science
training.

Leigh Dayton for example is well qualified in anthropology but those are
arts degrees.

I have a rusty degree in botany, but it doesn't stop me writing for the
Institute of Physics.

And 90% of science stories are written in the mainstream media by people
with no feeling for science culture. That's not going to change real soon,
so we need to learn to work with what we have.

Niall

Niall Byrne

Science Communication Consultant
Science in Public
PO Box 199 Drysdale 3222 Australia
(185 Scotchmans Road Portarlington 3223)
Ph +61 3 5253 1391, fax +61 3 9923 6008, mobile 0417 131 977
niall at scienceinpublic.com - or niallprivate at scienceinpublic.com for personal
matters
www.scienceinpublic.com