[ASC-media] Media release: Earth scientist elected new President of science Academy

Jacinta Legg jacinta.legg at science.org.au
Tue May 9 16:36:02 EST 2006

Australian Academy of Science - Media release

EARTH SCIENTIST ELECTED NEW PRESIDENT OF SCIENCE ACADEMY

Professor Kurt Lambeck, Professor of Geophysics, Australian National University (ANU), has been elected to lead Australia's senior organisation of research scientists and technologists, the Australian Academy of Science.

He succeeds Dr Jim Peacock who completed his four-year term at the end of the Academy's scientific meeting at the Shine Dome on Friday 5 May.

Kurt Lambeck, 64, was elected to the Academy in 1984. He has been at the ANU since 1977, including 10 years as Director of the Research School of Earth Sciences. His principal research areas have included climate and environmental sciences, geophysics and space science. His current research focuses on the interactions between ice sheets, oceans and the solid Earth, as well as the rise and fall of sea levels and their effect on human civilisations.

His research has been recognised in Australia and overseas. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of London and a Foreign Member of the Netherlands Academy, the Norwegian Academy, Academia Europea and the Académie des Sciences, Institut de France. He is the recipient of many prestigious international awards.

Professor Lambeck has extensive links with the international scientific community having held research positions in Europe and the United States. He has, for many years, represented Australia on numerous International Committees including the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and the Antarctic Science Advisory Committee. He was Foreign Secretary for the Academy from 2000-04.

Looking forward to his term as President, Kurt Lambeck said:

'It is a great honour to have been elected President of the Australian Academy of Science. I will be working hard during the next four years to advance science at all levels - through school programs, at universities and, importantly, in the development of the careers of Australia's young scientists.

Over recent years the Academy has expanded its policy advice to government. This needs to continue but at the same time we have to ensure that we maintain our independence.

I will be pursuing a personal interest in promoting Australian science in the international scientific arena and putting science into Australia's foreign policy. Science is a global entity and Australia needs to expand its presence in international science to secure our social, economic and environmental future.'

Photograph available at http://www.science.org.au/media/pres2006.htm.

Further information: Jacinta Legg - (02) 6201 9417, 0409 331 366, jacinta.legg at science.org.au