[ASC-media] NEW IMAGE GALLERY EXPOSES AUSTRALIA'S $4B WEED CRISIS

Rita Reitano rita.reitano at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Jul 3 09:45:01 CEST 2007

Cooperative Research Centre for Australian Weed Management

Media Alert

NEW IMAGE GALLERY EXPOSES AUSTRALIA'S $4B WEED CRISIS

Weeds cost Australia over $4b per year. That's much more than the cost
of salinity. And it's roughly equivalent to the annual cost of illicit
drugs to Australian business, or the yearly value of our gold exports.

Yet it can sometimes be hard to convince policy makers, funding bodies,
nurseries or just family and friends of the extent of Australia's weed
problem.

In a visual lesson exposing Australia's mounting weed crisis, the Weeds
CRC has compiled an image gallery featuring some of the worst weed
infestations in Australia:

www.weeds.crc.org.au/main/image_gallery_index.html

Seen in combination, these striking images provide an immediate visual
impact aimed at creating a greater appreciation of the issue,
particularly amongst those who might not think of weeds beyond their
backyards.

And with 65% of weeds originating from Australia's parks and gardens,
the Weeds CRC reminds the Australian public to choose their garden
plants wisely.

These dramatic images show weeds choking our waterways, strangling and
smothering our native vegetation and robbing our farmers of valuable
land.

Some of the most visually arresting images show weeds invading famous,
World Heritage-listed Australian landmarks. These include Kakadu
National Park and Uluru (Ayers Rock) in the Northern Territory, the Wet
Tropics of Queensland, and the Blue Mountains and Barrington Tops
National Parks in New South Wales.

Contacts:
Dr Rachel McFadyen, CEO, Weeds CRC, 0409 263 817
Peter Martin, Weeds CRC, 0429 830 366

Images and further information:

High resolution versions of the photos in the image gallery are
available from Jenny Barker: 08 8303 7250 or
jennifer.barker at adelaide.edu.au.

Alternatively, a selection of high resolution photos of weeds
threatening famous Australian landmarks can be downloaded directly from
www.weeds.crc.org.au/publications/media.html

The Weeds CRC was advised in November 2006 that its funding will not be
renewed, and that it will wind up in June 2008. A media statement and
updates about the situation are available at:
www.weeds.crc.org.au/main/weeds_crc_to_end.html