[ASC-media] PANEL MEMBER EYES FUTURE/RESEARCH STREAKS AHEAD: GRDC Grain Flashes

BRENDON CANT brendon at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 12 05:25:06 CEST 2007

PANEL MEMBER EYES FUTURE: How do we sustain our future grain production and
are we far enough ahead of the game to keep up with competitors and changing
markets?

These are questions GRDC Western Panel member, David Capper, is addressing
in the face of current interest in environmental issues such as climate
change.

"While climate change is very real, WA's grain industry is dynamic enough to
deal with future changes, provided there is appropriate ongoing research and
development," Mr Capper said.

Along with his colleagues on the GRDC Western Panel, Mr Capper will visit
the Esperance region in September for the annual GRDC Spring Tour.

"This is one of our key interfaces with grower stakeholders and helps build
a valuable platform for the future," he said.

Contact: David Capper, Mob 0427 080 373

RESEARCH STREAKS AHEAD: With the first case of wheat streak mosaic virus
(WSMV) for 2007 found in WA, GRDC supported DAFWA researcher, Dr Geoff
Dwyer's test to detect the virus in bulk samples of wheat seed is all the
more necessary.

"WSMV is transmitted in the embryo of wheat seed and when infected seeds
germinate, wheat curl mite can transfer the virus to healthy plants, leading
to a high percentage of crop loss," he said.

"The test only tells us if the seed was harvested from a crop exposed to
WSMV, which implies risk of seed transmission.

"We're developing a new test allowing us to determine the levels of WSMV in
bulk seed lots, hopefully to be ready in the first half of 2008," Dr Dwyer
said.

The WSMV test is available through AGWEST Plant Laboratories, Tel 08 9368
3721.

Contact: Dr Geoff Dwyer, Tel 08 9368 3677

 Authorised by Grains Research & Development Corporation (GRDC)

 and issued on its behalf by

Brendon Cant & Associates, Tel 08 9384 1122

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:43 PM