[ASC-media] CSIRO: Sustainable fuel for road, rail, air and sea transport

Rebecca.Eveleigh at csiro.au Rebecca.Eveleigh at csiro.au
Wed Jan 9 02:00:26 CET 2008

Ref 07/03

Sustainable fuel for road, rail, air and sea transport

CSIRO's newly formed Future Fuels Forum (FFF) is bringing together
community, industry and government to plan for the future of transport
fuels in Australia.

Emissions trading, future fuels and international oil supply are just
some of the factors that will be considered as the Forum articulates the
main challenges for our nation in arriving at a secure and sustainable
transport fuel mix for road, rail, air and sea to 2050.

Director of the CSIRO Energy Transformed National Research Flagship, Dr
John Wright, said the FFF comes at an ideal time as the decisions made
today will set the course for Australia's fuel mix to the middle of the
century.

"Cost effective transport underpins our lifestyles and economy. We need
to start work now to ensure the sector can continue to deliver its many
benefits and address its environmental impact along with other important
issues relating to fuel security and supply," Dr Wright said.

The Future Fuels Forum is designed to provide useful input to decision
makers in industry and government on strategic policy and future
investment, which will be articulated through the release of a
comprehensive report in June 2008.

An impressive list of participants has gathered, bringing a wealth of
experience and many different perspectives and backgrounds that relate
to the fuel and transport sectors.

"We expect some healthy debate that will result in the development of a
diverse set of scenarios for Australia's fuel and transport future," Dr
Wright said.

The project follows the successful Energy Futures Forum, a collaboration
with energy industry stakeholders which developed scenarios for the
future of energy in Australia.

"The Energy Futures Forum gave us a broad view of Australia's energy
landscape and identified the need to focus more specifically on our
nation's fuel and transport sectors," Dr Wright said.

"I believe the Future Fuels Forum will result in similar success and
make a significant contribution towards planning a secure and
sustainable transport fuel mix."

The Forum will draw on the expertise of forum participants and use
sophisticated economic modelling technology to map out future scenarios.

Future Fuels Forum partners include the Australian Automobile
Association, Australian Association for the Study of Peak Oil and Gas,
Biofuels Association of Australia, Caltex, Engineers Australia, Future
Climate Australia, National Roads and Motorists Association, National
Transport Commission, Public Interest Advocacy Centre, Queensland Rail,
Rocky Point Distillery, Sasol Chevron, the South Australian Government,
the Victorian Government and Woolworths.

The Future Fuels Forum is still accepting expressions of interest from
organisations wishing to join the initiative.

National Research Flagships. www.csiro.au/flagships

CSIRO initiated the National Research Flagships to provide science-based
solutions in response to Australia's major research challenges and
opportunities. The nine Flagships form multidisciplinary teams with
industry and the research community to deliver impact and benefits for
Australia.

Energy Futures Forum report, The Heat Is On available at:
www.csiro.au/science/EnergyFuturesForum.html

Image available at: www.scienceimage.csiro.au/mediarelease/mr08-03.html

Further Information:

Dr John Wright, Energy Transformed National Research Flagship
02 4960 6080; 0408 480 724; john.wright at csiro.au

Media Assistance:

Linley Davis, Energy Transformed National Research Flagship
02 4960 6116; 0417 772 480; linley.davis at csiro.au
www.csiro.au

If you would like to be removed from this mailing list please contact
CSIROMedia at csiro.au

Beck Eveleigh
Media Assistant
CSIRO Media Liaison