[ASC-media] CSIRO: CSIRO and Gold Fields Australia sign agreement

Rebecca.Eveleigh at csiro.au Rebecca.Eveleigh at csiro.au
Fri Jul 11 07:36:55 CEST 2008

Ref 08/115

CSIRO and Gold Fields Australia sign agreement

An historic framework for future cooperation between CSIRO and Gold Fields Australia (GFA) was formalised today at a short ceremony in Perth earlier this week.

The Relationship Agreement was signed for CSIRO by Dr Peter Lilly, Director, Minerals Down Under National Research Flagship. Mr Neville Bergin - VP Head of Australian Operations signed on behalf of GFA.

"CSIRO and GFA are delighted to pioneer this style of agreement in Australia," Dr Lilly said.

"It is in both organisations' interest to work together where our priorities overlap.

"This is an exciting opportunity for us to work with a strong industry partner to help create wealth for Australia and to ensure the future of an industry that is extremely important to Australia's economy."

CSIRO is Australia's premier scientific and engineering R&D organisation. It works to increase the competitiveness and sustainability of Australian industry and create new industries or significantly transform existing industries.

GFA is committed to optimising existing exploration and mining operations and aggressively pursuing and developing additional world-class deposits and applying best practice technology.

"We are vitally interested in innovation in all its forms," Mr Bergin said.

"This partnership will allow us to provide our mines as beta test sites for new CSIRO technologies. It will also give both of us the opportunity to gain access to the results of advanced technology research from each other."

The agreement is expected to result in a closer linking of the strategic planning of both parties, a closer working relationship in specific areas, and new R&D projects of interest to both parties.

Dr Lilly believes that the signing of the Relationship Agreement sends a strong message to the minerals industry in Australia.

"It makes it clear that CSIRO is open for business and willing to work closely with industry partners," he said.

"We would be delighted to hear from any other organisations that want to explore how we can help further each other's aims."

National Research Flagships. www.csiro.au/flagships

CSIRO initiated the National Research Flagships to provide science-based solutions in response to Australia's major research challenges and opportunities. The nine Flagships form multidisciplinary teams with industry and the research community to deliver impact and benefits for Australia.

Further Information:

Peter Lilly. Director, Minerals Down Under National Research Flagship:
61 8 6436 8613. Peter.Lilly at csiro.au

Media Assistance:

Bob Chamberlain, Minerals Down Under	+61 7 3327 4469. Bob.Chamberlain at csiro.au

www.csiro.au