[ASC-media] REVISED/CORRECT VERSION OF CLANCY'S CASE OF LUPIN LOGIC/GRDC Grain Flash BELOW (please ignore earlier version)

BRENDON CANT brendon at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 17 09:24:14 CEST 2008

CLANCY'S CASE OF LUPIN LOGIC: Mingenew grain grower Clancy Michael put his
case for a glyphosate tolerant lupin, while addressing the GRDC supported
'Lupins for Health and Wealth' conference at Fremantle on Monday, September
15.

Farming 4700 hectares on sandplain country, Mr Michael said developing such
a technology could greatly benefit the lupin industry, as WA growers needed
to compete on a level international 'protein playing field' with northern
hemisphere Roundup Ready soybean growers, whose productions costs were
lower.

"With WA growers opting to not crop paddocks and then apply glyphosate to
take weeds out and conserve moisture, I believe a better alternative would
be planting a glyphosate tolerant lupin if we had the technology available
to us," he said.

Mr Michael added that the cost of developing such a technology for lupins
would not be prohibitively expensive, compared with the benefits it would
bring.

Contact: Clancy Michael, Tel 08 9928 1115, Mob 0428 281 115

GRDC REF:GrainFlash2September17.doc/DAW00156/MacLean170908

Brendon Cant & Associates
Public Relations & Marketing
Suite 5
4 Gugeri St
Claremont WA 6010
Tel 08 9384 1122
The information in this email is privileged and confidential and intended
for the use of the individual named.