[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 01 AUGUST 2009

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Jul 29 02:56:07 CEST 2009

NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 01 AUGUST 2009 (Vol. 202 No. 2717)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 03:00
HRS AEST (05:00 HRS NZST) THURS 30 JULY 2009.

All FULL-TEXT articles together with artwork, photos and graphics are
not to be downloaded and reproduced without prior permission from New
Scientist. The articles are distributed in advance of publication to
those authorised media who may wish to report on our stories, quoting
extracts as part of fair dealing with this copyrighted material.

Reports on this story must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

For full text versions of the articles below, please email
media at newscientist.com.au or call +61 (0)2 9422 2556.

ALLERGIES
New Scientist looks at what causes allergies, how to test for an
allergic reaction and how the type of allergy you develop can be
dependent on where you live. Also, are some of the efforts to protect
allergies from occurring really that effective or necessary? (Feature)
Pages 28-31

SEISMIC BOOMS
No longer a matter of scientific imagination, supersonic-like
earthquakes that rip through the earth so fast they take over their own
seismic waves and strike at anything in their path with a force like a
hammer blow have been found to be very real and to occur in more places
than we ever thought. A series of new maps has revealed an abundance of
fault zones around the world where these earthquakes, dubbed "supershear
quakes" can occur. (Feature) Pages 32-35

A DARK SIDE TO THE TECHNOLOGICAL EVOLUTION
Today's technologies are capable of copying information to one another
without human intervention. Have we designed a technological system
which could spiral out of our control? After a genetic and cultural
evolution, we may now just be experiencing a third evolution; a
technological explosion that may be more harmful to us than helpful.
(Feature) Pages 36-39

STICKY TAPE RAYS TO BE USED IN MEDICAL IMAGING?
Joseph Horvat and Roger Lewis of the University of Wollongong, New South
Wales have discovered that peeling certain types of sticky tape emits
terahertz radiation, that, with a bit of fine tuning could provide as an
alternative to lasers used in medical imaging. Page 17

UPSET YOUR COSY INTERNET WORLD FOR GREATER IDEAS
Scientific research has shown that individuals who work in smaller,
isolated groups are more likely to come up with innovative ideas. The
National University of Singapore have suggested that social networking
sites are inhibiting innovation from thriving on the internet and that
the next-generation of social networks will need to be re-engineered to
prevent the loss of diversity and radical ideas sparking over the web.
Page 17

KEEPING PRIVACY POLICIES PRIVATE
A study by the University of Cambridge on the privacy policies of 29
social networking websites including MySpace and Facebook has found that
many sites fail to provide prominent awareness of their privacy policies
and options to new members. As a result more and more people have been
signing up to these sites oblivious to how and where their information
may be used. Page 4

FIGHTING THE FLAB... WITH FAT
The latest findings by scientists at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in
Boston have revealed that diabetics and people looking to lose weight
could now benefit from a certain type of fat. As opposed to normal white
fat that stores the energy from food, brown fat has been found to turn
the energy into heat. The Institute found that skin cells of mice can be
successfully converted to brown fat by a certain viral gene. Page 14

ENDS

Reports on this story must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:
If you'd like to view the above articles in full-text AND/OR for radio &
TV interviews, please contact Rita Mu, Marketing and PR Assistant-
Australia, Tel: 61 2 9422 2556 or email: media at newscientist.com.au

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
Varneek Sehra, New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or
email: varneek.sehra at rbi.co.uk

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 617 386 2190 or email:
j.heselton at elsevier.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit
www.newscientist.com

Rita Mu
Marketing and PR Assistant - Australia/NZ
New Scientist
Tel: 61 2 9422 2556
Email: media at newscientist.com.au