[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 14 MARCH 2009

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Mar 11 00:03:37 CET 2009

NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 14 MARCH 2009 (Vol. 201 No. 2699)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 05:00
HRS AEDT (07:00 HRS NZDT) THURS 12 MARCH 2009

All FULL-TEXT articles together with artwork, photos and graphics are
not to be downloaded and reproduced without prior permission from New
Scientist. The articles are distributed in advance of publication to
those authorised media who may wish to report on our stories, quoting
extracts as part of fair dealing with this copyrighted material.

Reports on this story must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Report online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

For full text versions of the articles, please email
media at newscientist.com.au or call +61 (0)2 9422 2893.

EXTINCTION ERRORS
IUCN's "Red List" of endangered species is widely respected - but now
some conservation scientists, including those from Charles Darwin
University and University of Queensland, say it's scientifically flawed
and inaccurate. We may be wasting millions trying to save 'safe' species
while others creep towards extinction. Page 8

CHARGE BATTERIES IN A FLASH, THANKS TO 'NANOBALL' TECHNOLOGY
Byoungwoo Kang and Gerbrand Ceder at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology have created a battery which charges about 100 times as fast
as conventional lithium ion batteries. Kang and Ceder discovered that
using nano-sized lithium iron phosphate balls, mobile phone batteries
could charge in 10 seconds flat, and plug-in hybrid cards could charge
in a speedy time of just 5 minutes. Page 19

SECOND GENESIS
We only know about one kind of life, but that's about to change - right
here on Earth. We're either going to discover life that's evolved
separately from the kind we're familiar with, or we're going to build it
in the lab. Feature Pages 28- 32

SUPERGRIDS
If our leaders just put their minds to it, a giant transmission grid for
renewable power could pull the plug on dirty fossil fuels for ever. The
trick is to switch from AC to DC. Feature Pages 42-45

BLAME DAD FOR YOUR BRAIN
New research reveals that the brain connections responsible for many
aspects of IQ are heritable. Finding the genes responsible and mimicking
their effects could allow us to modify intelligence. Page 12

ENDS

Reports on this story must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:
If you'd like to view the above articles in full-text AND/OR for radio &
TV interviews, please contact Nicole Scott, Marketing and PR Manager -
Australia, Tel: 61 2 9422 2893 or email: media at newscientist.com.au

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
Varneek Sehra, New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or
email: varneek.sehra at rbi.co.uk

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 617 386 2190 or email:
j.heselton at elsevier.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit
www.newscientist.com

Nicole Scott
Marketing and PR Manager - Australia/NZ
New Scientist