[ASC-media] VIC: Rebuilding after the fires forum and free e-book

Maia Sauren maia.sauren at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 03:08:18 CET 2009

MEDIA RELEASE 12 March 2009

REBUILDING AFTER THE FIRES

The close-knit communities of Murrindindi, Nillumbik, Whittlesea and
Yarra Ranges Shires are looking to re-design, re-construct and
re-build their devastated communities.

To assist this process, the Kinglake Action Network and Development
Organistion (KANDO), Eltham College and Permaculture Kinglake Ranges
have come together to present a series of community forums - ‘After
the Fires’.

The first forum, to be held Saturday 21 March 12-5pm at Eltham College
will feature three leading speakers examining community design from
diverse perspectives.

Ian Dunlop, former CEO of the Institute of Company Directors
highlights the impact of climate change.

”Bad things are already happening. We have very little time. While we
argue, nature acts. The best tribute we can pay to the victims of the
Victorian bushfires is to now start taking global warming seriously
and stop playing political games,” Ian said.

Peri-urban communities are vulnerable to many issues. They often lack
basic planning, taken-for-granted infrastructure and viable local
economies. Families are dependent on Melbourne for income and for
their day-to-day goods and services.

Permaculture co-founder David Holmgren will outline key design
principles for building more resilient communities and more
fire-resistant properties.

”Climate change and peak oil means we are going to experience more
extreme weather events and serious adaptation challenges. Our current
way of life suggests we may not weather the coming storms as well as
we should,” says David.

“New design principles are needed to generate new strategies in a
world of change and uncertainty. Such approaches need to be tuned to
emerging, rather than past conditions.’ David is the author of ‘The
Flywire House - Bushfire-Resistant Design.

Joan Webster, community fire educator and author of ‘The Complete
Bushfire Safety Book’ looks at house design and human behaviour to
reduce the impact of bushfires.

“Knowing how to prepare your house, and knowing what to do during
bushfire, when to do it, and why, has saved many lives, homes, and
animals,” said Joan.'

“It is vital that people understand how to protect themselves, their
friends and their family.”

To register for the first ‘After the Fires’ public forum, please
contact Daryl Taylor on 5786 1804 or by email on
taylor.daryl at yahoo.com.au

Eltham College is located at 1660 Main Road, Research. The Community
Forum will be held from midday in the Main Auditorium. Please enter
through the Eltham College Library.

-------
David Holmgren recently made his case study in bushfire resistant
design from after the Ash Wednesday fires A Flywire House available as
a free e-book download:
http://www.holmgren.com.au/frameset.html?http://holmgren.com.au/html/Publications/FlywireHouse.html
-------