[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 28 MARCH 2009

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Mar 25 00:45:53 CET 2009

NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 28 MARCH 2009 (Vol. 201 No. 2701)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Click through to NewScientist.com for the full text version of the article below.

"SIGNIFICANT" EVIDENCE COLD FUSION EXISTS
The idea of cold fusion:  abundant, almost free energy from nuclear fusion reactions has made a comeback. Pamela Mosier-Boss and colleagues at Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command in San Diego, California discovered "significant" evidence involving "tracks" left behind by high-energy neutrons produced by fusion reactions between deuterium and tritium nuclei. Mosier-Boss and colleagues presented their work on March 23 at American Chemical Society spring conference in Salt Lake City, Utah. Page 10
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16820-roomtemperature-fusion-in-from-the-cold.html

THE FOLLOWING MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 05:00 HRS AEDT (07:00 HRS NZDT) THURS 26 MARCH 2009

All FULL-TEXT articles together with artwork, photos and graphics shown below are not to be downloaded and reproduced without prior permission from New Scientist. The articles are distributed in advance of publication to those authorised media who may wish to report on our stories, quoting extracts as part of fair dealing with this copyrighted material.

Reports on this story must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Report online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

For full text versions of the articles below, please email media at newscientist.com.au or call +61 (0)2 9422 2893.

F1 CARS GET POWER BOOST, BUT AT WHAT RISK?
The rules of F1 allow recovered energy to be used to deliver 60kW of extra power for 6.5 seconds each lap. On Sunday, the first Formula 1 cars to be fitted with this controversial energy recovery system are due to race in this season's opening Grand Prix in Melbourne. However, questions over the safety of the system remain unresolved in the lead up to the race. The problem is that the kinetic energy recovery system (KERS) introduces a new set of risks - including battery fires, electrocution and flying debris. No one knows how safe the systems are going to be, particularly in high speed crashes. Page 20

POSSIBLE BREATH TEST FOR LUNG CANCER
Chemist Anne McNeil and colleagues at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor are developing a cheaper breath test to detect for lung cancer. The breath test would detect for elevated levels of nitric oxide and would involve the conversion of a solution of dihydropyridine into a gel. Page 14

SPANKING MAY BRING COUPLES CLOSER TOGETHER
Spanking is stressful at first, but it could bring consenting couples closer together. That's the implication of two studies from researchers at Northern Illinois and Pisa Universities which looked at the hormonal changes associated with sadomasochistic (S&M) activities including spanking, bondage and flogging. Page 13

DÉJÀ VU
The weird feeling of "I've done this before" may help us understand how we normally distinguish between fantasy and reality. Feature pages 28-31

MELTDOWN The long-expected Arctic climate catastrophe has started sooner than anyone expected, and it's not just polar bears that should be worried. Feature p32-36

ASTEROID BUSTING
Now we have a safer way to stop an earth-buster from destroying the world: lasers. Page 17

ENDS

Reports on this story must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:
If you'd like to view the above articles in full-text AND/OR for radio & TV interviews, please contact Nicole Scott, Marketing and PR Manager -  Australia, Tel: 61 2 9422 2893 or email: media at newscientist.com.au

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
Varneek Sehra, New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or email: varneek.sehra at rbi.co.uk

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 617 386 2190 or email: j.heselton at elsevier.com