[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 07 NOVEMBER 2009

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Nov 4 01:08:30 CET 2009

NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 07 NOVEMBER 2009 (Vol. 202 No. 2732)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 04:00
HRS AEDST (06:00 HRS NZDST) THURS 05 NOVEMBER 2009.

All FULL-TEXT articles together with artwork, photos and graphics are
not to be downloaded and reproduced without prior permission from New
Scientist. The articles are distributed in advance of publication to
those authorised media who may wish to report on our stories, quoting
extracts as part of fair dealing with this copyrighted material.

Reports on this story must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

OUTSIDE IS BEST FOR EYESIGHT
There may be a simple way to prevent the next generation from becoming
as short-sighted as we are. The results of a recent study by Kathryn
Rose at the University of Sydney support the idea that being outdoors is
the crucial factor in preventing myopia. Her findings have been backed
up by a further study of Singaporean and Australian children which
showed that those who spent more time outside developed far lower rates
of myopia. Feature. Pages 48-51

OCEAN EXPLORERS
With global warming and a potential water crisis in our hands, who would
ever think that maybe, just maybe, one day we could find water inside
the moons of our solar system. As many as five moons of Jupiter and
Saturn are believed to store seas of water beneath their icy crusts.
NASA and the European Space Agency have begun plans for two missions to
take-off in early 2020 to explore the alien seas hidden in Jupiter's
moons. Feature. Pages 44-47

WHAT IF YOU HAD TO DECIDE IN YOUR 20s
Career or children? For some women, when to make the move from career
life to family life is a difficult decision. However scientists at the
Centre for Human Reproduction in New York have now developed a gene test
that can tell women how long they can put off having children. The test,
which could be available as early as next year, will allow women to
predict the rate at which their egg supply diminishes and confirm
whether their fertility is in early decline. Page 8-9

ELECTRONIC GUARDIAN KEEPS TEENAGERS SAFER ON THE ROAD
Accident rates among teenage drivers could be slashed using in-car
technology that warns them when they are driving recklessly. Researchers
at Ben-Gurion University in Israel have analysed driving data from a US
study and have found the number of unsafe driving events undertaken by
each driver halved after the warning lights appeared on the in-vehicle
data recorders. Page 29

FEAR NOT, FAIR NEIGHBOUR, I'LL PROTECT YOU
Land researcher Richard Milner of the Australian National University in
Canberra has discovered female fiddler crabs mate with their neighbours
in exchange for protection. The crabs are the first known species where
male and female neighbours have been found to team up to defend
territory. Page 23

ENDS

Reports on this story must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:
If you'd like to view the above articles in full-text AND/OR for radio &
TV interviews, please contact Rita Mu, Marketing and PR Assistant -
Australia, Tel: 61 2 9422 2556 or email: media at newscientist.com.au

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
Varneek Sehra, New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or
email: varneek.sehra at rbi.co.uk

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 617 386 2190 or email:
j.heselton at elsevier.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit
www.newscientist.com

Rita Mu
Marketing and PR Assistant- Australia/NZ
New Scientist
Tel: 61 2 9422 2556
Email: media at newscientist.com.au