[ASC-media] JCU NEWS: Investigating living fossils

Linden Woodward linden.woodward at jcu.edu.au
Fri Nov 27 08:30:06 CET 2009

JCU Media Release
Friday November 27, 2009

Investigating living fossils in Australia’s deep-sea

A team of German and Australian researchers will leave Townsville on
Monday (30 November) on an expedition that will take them back in
time, and deep into the waters off the Queensland coast.

Geobiologists from the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich, the
Natural History Museum at the Humboldt-Universität Berlin, the
University of Göttingen, the Queensland Museum, University of
Queensland and James Cook University will explore the deep fore-reef
slopes of the Queensland Plateau and the Great Barrier Reef.

They are investigating ‘living fossils’ such as sponges, brachiopods,
echinoderms and the famous cephalopods Nautilus. They also hope to
find cold-water coral reefs in the deep.

“The deep-sea ecosystems on the slopes of the Queensland Plateau have
remained largely unchanged for millions of years,” said Professor Gert
Wörheide, a geobiologist from Munich, who leads the expedition
together with Dr. Carsten Lüter (Natural History Museum Berlin) and
Professor Joachim Reitner (University of Göttingen).

“As a consequence, organisms that had long been thought to be extinct
have managed to survive in this area since the end of the Mesozoic,
about 65 Million years ago.”

The 15 researchers will document marine life to depths of about 1000
metres. They will retrieve specimens for further research, including
comparison with the fossil record, and with other contemporary
organisms living in dark caves of shallow water reefs.

The expedition will use a remote-operated vehicle (an ROV) from the
Centre for Marine Environmental Sciences in Bremen, Germany, to
investigate deep-sea life.

“This is a really exciting opportunity to explore life in the deep
seas off our coast,” said James Cook University geoscientist Dr Rob
Beaman, whose seabed maps will help guide the expedition.

“Most of our knowledge of the Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea is
limited to around 30 metres,” Dr Beaman said. “We know very little
about life beyond these depths, so we can expect plenty of surprises
when we send the ROV down as far as a kilometre.”

The German members of the research team originally discovered this
deep-sea fauna on an expedition to the Coral Sea in the mid 1990s.

Deep Down Under, their current research project, will investigate the
biodiversity around Flinders, Holmes, Bougainville and Osprey reefs
and the outer Great Barrier Reef margin.

They will also conduct reef dives, detailed habitat mapping and
environmental measurement of water masses during the three-week
expedition.

Amongst others, the research project received a 300,000E grant from
the German Research Foundation.

The research partners in Australia are the Queensland Museum, the
University of Queensland, as part of the Deep Ocean Australia project
funded by the Australian Research Council, as well as the University
of Sydney and James Cook University.

The research team will document the expedition in their blog at www.deepdownunder.de
.

Information for media:
 > Prof Gert Wörheide and Dr Rob Beaman will be available for
interview in Townsville on Sunday 29 November.
 > Dr Rob Beaman, Tel 0438 623 145.
 > The research ship MV PMG Pride will be moored at the Pacific Marine
Group wharf, Number 30, 7th Avenue, South Townsville.
 > The vessel will depart Townsville during the morning on Monday 30
November.
 > http://www.deepdownunder.de/index.php

Linden Woodward

Media and Communications
Division of University Services and Registrar
James Cook University

PO Box 6811, Cairns 4870
T: 07 4042 1007
M: 04 1979 1564