[ASC-media] ASC SA to reform (SA)

Dr Rob Morrison rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au
Thu Oct 29 17:30:32 CET 2009

The South Australian Branch of Australian Science Communicators (ASC SA)
is about to reform.

If you work in science as a teacher, student, lecturer, journalist,
writer, film-maker, educator, editor, interpretation officer,
researcher, administrator, PR representative, media officer, hold any
other job in science, technology, engineering or maths, or if you simply
have an interest in science, this is for you.

The Australian Science Communicators has recently undergone a revival -
have a look at the new website at http://www.asc.asn.au/

ASC is involved in running conferences (a big one in February 2010),
developing the new National Science Communication Strategy,
accreditation for science communication courses, planning new benefits
for members, and much more. At present, SA is the only state without an
active branch, so that science communicators here are missing out on the
benefits that ASC offers.

In South Australia, the launch of the RiAus in October has provided
South Australian Science Communicators with a splendid new meeting place
(with a bar), unrivalled networking opportunities, fresh programs and
many additional activities and benefits.

We have a small steering committee preparing the way for a relaunch of
ASC SA. We are restructuring the ASC SA executive so that nobody is
expected to take on too much (one of the problems in maintaining the
branch in the past), and we already have a draft program developed for
the next 12 months.

Because the Australian Science Media Centre and RiAus are based in
Adelaide, and South Australians are very active in National Science
Week, we have a strong nucleus of people already interested and
involved, but we want as many as possible, reflecting every aspect of
science communication.

So.......what is happening? Two events for your 2009 diary, both free of
charge

* November 19, 2009, 6pm-8pm*

RiAus, The Science Exchange, 55 Exchange Place
Adelaide 5000 (Google maps: *http://tinyurl.com/scienceexchange)*
* Bar open - buy your own drinks
*”Taming the Raspberry,”
30 minute presentation on The Science of Wind Instruments (Rob Morrison)
* Hear about our plans for ASC SA
* Tour of new RiAus building
* Discussion and Questions

ACCOMPANIED CHILDREN ARE WELCOME. “Taming the Raspberry” is suitable for
all ages.

*December 14th, 2009, 6pm*
RiAus, The Science Exchange, 55 Exchange Place
Adelaide 5000 (Google maps: *http://tinyurl.com/scienceexchange)*

SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING TO REFORM ASC SA

* Christmas drinks
* Joining up ASC SA members
* Election of Committee
* Program for 2010
* Get-together and Networking

You are most welcome to come to both events, but the RiAus does need to
know the numbers, so:
***** To book your place please visit the RiAus website at ....
www.riaus.org.au <http://www.riaus.org.au>

Enquiries to either: