[ASC-media] LOOK BEYOND LIMITS OF WATER: IN THE PIPELINE: COGGO Media Release

BRENDON CANT brendon at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 28 03:27:01 CET 2010

LOOK BEYOND LIMITS OF WATER: IN THE PIPELINE

Addressing more than 2000 WA grain growers in his ‘In the Pipeline’ column
in the January 2010 edition of 'The Grower' newsletter, Bindi Bindi grower
and Council of Grain Grower Organisations (COGGO) Chairman, Bruce Piper said
WA growers need to stop thinking about water as the only real limiting
factor in what they grow and yield.

“Sure we live and work in a largely dry environment and have probably
suffered the effects of climate change in recent years, but we’re also well
equipped with technologies, management skills, enthusiasm, infrastructure
and varieties, to make headway where it counts and that’s in the bin at
harvest time,” he wrote.

“Growers need to set their crop yield bars higher and we all need to look to
double our grain yields and shoot for a 100 per cent increase, not just five
per cent or 20 per cent.

“And I believe we can do it because we have the best wheat breeders in the
world, access to some exceptional varieties and, thankfully, a State
Government willing to embrace, albeit guardedly, new technologies, including
GM, to accelerate some of those potential yield gains and desirable
tolerance and resistance traits,” Mr Piper said.

He acknowledged that it was not simply a matter of what breeders could
deliver to growers, but also about growers scrutinising themselves and their
cropping practices and asking themselves some hard questions, including:

  a.. Have I got my micro and macro nutrient mixes and balances right?
  b.. Have I got my soil pH right and am I investing adequately in liming?
  c.. Did I apply fungicide at seeding and, if necessary, again during the
season?

“With a run of tough seasons, many growers have cut back on inputs up-front
and even during what shapes as a good season and this mindset needs to
change,” Mr Piper said.

 www.coggo.net.au

Authorised by COGGO Ltd and issued on its behalf by Brendon Cant &
Associates, Tel 08 9384 1122
MEDIA CONTACTS

COGGO Chairman Bruce Piper, Mob 0429 087 304

COGGO CEO Mark Tucek, Tel 08 9363 3400

COGGOPipeline.doc/Piper260110Tucek280110