[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 26 JUNE 2010

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Jun 23 04:13:59 CEST 2010

NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 26 JUNE 2010 (Vol. 202 No. 2766)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 04:00 HRS AEST (06:00 HRS NZST) THURS 24 JUNE 2010.

Reports on stories must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com <http://www.newscientist.com/>

WHEN THE SUN BELCHES...
Solar activity could pose a threat to our technology dependent world. Both large and small space storms can cause trouble for railway signals, oil pipelines and power grids. Richard Marshall of the Australian Bureau of Meteorology's space weather unit says pipelines in northern Australia have been disrupted by such activity. Pages 6 - 7

HOBBIT WAS UNIQUE, NOT A SICKLY HUMAN
Colin Groves of the Australian National University in Canberra, has proven the "hobbits" that lived in Indonesia 13,000 years ago were a unique species of hominin, not a sickly human as previously thought. Page 17

CLIMATE CONUNDRUM
Are we able to use past studies of Earth's climate to predict what future generations can expect? Studies of past climate have found that carbon dioxide is the most important of the many factors affecting the planet's climate. If the levels of CO2 in our atmosphere double, we can expect to see temperature rises of 3°C. Feature Page 38 - 41

RISE OF THE QUANTUM MACHINES
How far can we push the quantum theory? We may be able to push the quantum theory to its limits with the breakthrough of quantum machines. The use of quantum machines could completely change the way we view the quantum world and the way we interact with it. Feature Page 34 - 37

THE LURE OF A CURE
With no scientific evidence of successful treatment for autism, why are many parents of children with autism opting for unorthodox remedies?  Parents are turning out of desperation, to unproven remedies in the hope that they might cure or alleviate autism. Until medical research discovers proven treatments, parents will continue to take whatever steps they feel are necessary. Feature Page 42 - 45

WINNING COMBINATIONS
Can evolvability itself evolve? Although evolvability is just beginning to be understood, there are now many studies that shed light on the factors that might constrain and enhance an organism's capacity to evolve. Feature Page 46 - 49

VITAL SEED STORE SET FOR DESTRUCTION
The world's largest scientific repository of fruits and berries, located in Russia, could be bulldozed to make way for new homes. It is one of the world's oldest seed banks, with ninety per cent of the collection found in no other research station. It's unlikely the research station will be saved and any rescue efforts to relocate the collection will struggle due to quarantine regulations. Page 8

SKY FULL OF PLANES, GROUND FULL OF PILOTS How would you feel about flying in a plane where your pilot was thousands of kilometres away? Uncrewed aerial vehicles (UAVs) could soon share airspace with commercial aircraft. If successful this could lead the way for uncrewed cargo planes and possibly commercial airliners. Pages 22 - 23

INTONATION IS KEY TO GETTING THE QUESTION RIGHT Perhaps there is a universal rule to language after all. A link between intonation and word order has been shown for question-words such as "what" and "who". This could help explain how babies learn to speak. Page 10

WHY LOOSING A LOVED ONE CAN BE LETHAL
Many older widows and widowers pass away soon after a loved one dies. Researchers are trying to find out why this may be, with recent evidence indicating changes in the immune system could be a contributing factor. Page 13

FERTILITY GIVES WOMEN'S BRAINS A BOOST
A woman's brain can grow by as much as two per cent in the lead up to ovulation. The areas of the brain that grow boost a woman's ability to recognise faces, bodies and landscapes, potentially helping them locate a quality mating partner. Page 17

The following article is for IMMEDIATE RELEASE. Please click on the link below to view the full-text article.

LOSE WHALING LOOPHOLES, CONSIDER QUOTAS
A proposal has been put forward at the annual summit of the International Whaling Commission that would eliminate certain loopholes in the ban on commercial whaling. This would remove the loophole that allows Japan to hunt whales for "scientific research." http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19070-lose-whaling-loopholes-consider-quotas.html <http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19070-lose-whaling-loopholes-consider-quotas.html>

CORALS LIVING ON EDGE COULD ESCAPE CLIMATE CHANGE John Pandolfi at the University of Queensland, Australia and Ann Budd at the University of Iowa have found distinct changes over millions of years in corals living on the margins of Caribbean reefs, while samples from central locations had remained static. This suggests conservation efforts should focus on the edges of reefs where evolution is happening faster. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19057-corals-living-on-edge-could-escape-climate-change.html <http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19057-corals-living-on-edge-could-escape-climate-change.html>

ENDS

Reports on this story must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com <http://www.newscientist.com/>

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:
If you'd like to view the above articles in full-text AND/OR for radio & TV interviews, please contact Lucy Dunwell, Marketing and PR Manager -  Australia/NZ, Tel: 61 2 9422 2893 or email: media at newscientist.com.au <mailto:media at newscientist.com.au>

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
Varneek Sehra, New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or email: varneek.sehra at rbi.co.uk

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 781 734 8778 or email: Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com <mailto:Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com>