[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 27 MARCH 2010

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Mar 24 01:23:33 CET 2010

NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 27 MARCH 2010 (Vol. 202 No. 2753)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 04:00
HRS AEDST (06:00 HRS NZDST) THURS 25 MARCH 2010.

All FULL-TEXT articles together with artwork, photos and graphics are
not to be downloaded and reproduced without prior permission from New
Scientist. The articles are distributed in advance of publication to
those authorised media who may wish to report on our stories, quoting
extracts as part of fair dealing with this copyrighted material.

Reports on stories must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

For full-text versions of the stories below please email
media at newscientist.com.au or call 61 2 9422 2556

LET YOUR BODY DO THE THINKING
Research suggests our bodies influence our thoughts and not just those
relating to sensory or motor functions. Tobias Loetscher at the
University of Melbourne, Australia has found a link between abstract
thoughts and body movement. Loetscher has linked the movement of our
eyes with our ability to select random numbers. But do our movements
drive our thoughts or do our thoughts cause our movements? Pages 8-9

WRAP UP WARM
Energy efficient insulation is a hot topic around the globe but how can
we combine good intentions with economic rewards? Slowly but surely more
cost effective methods are being developed to insulate older homes.
Financing strategies are also being explored in a bid to make efficient
insulation possible for the masses. Feature pages 46 - 18

LOONY MOONS
This year it will be four centuries since Galileo discovered Jupiter's
four large moons. While planets are the giants of our solar system, it's
the moons that have the character, outnumbering the planets 20 to 1. How
diverse are these moons and what do we actually know about them? Feature
pages 32 - 37

SCARE RAISERS
New Scientist investigates a multimillion dollar online fraud operation
that plays on peoples computer security fears. The size and complexity
of the scam is staggering with the US Federal Trade Commission
estimating the operation brought in over $163 million. The scam duped
unsuspecting people into thinking their computer had a virus so they'd
pay money for security software. The only trouble is the security
software sold by the company offered no protection against malicious
software. Feature pages 38 - 41

MURDER IN THE BAT CAVE
America's bat population is being mysteriously wiped out. The cause of
the affliction, dubbed white nose syndrome, is not yet known but it's
believed a million bats have already succumbed to it. Researchers are
investigating a pathogen they believe is responsible for the problem,
whilst conservationists fight to get species of bats listed as
"threatened" or "endangered" to focus attention on the issue. Feature
pages 42 - 45

GUT BACTERIA FOR TRIMMER FIGURES
There may be an easier way to lose weight than dieting and vigorous
exercise, thanks to a special type of gut bacteria. Yukio Kadooka of
Snow Brand Milk Products in Japan found that by simply increasing your
consumption of dairy products containing the bacteria, you can lose that
"bad," visceral fat. Page 17

DRUGS GO PERSONAL
A healthcare bill passed in the U.S this week will look at
"personalising" certain drugs for subpopulations including racial and
ethnic minority groups, women and different age groups. A body of
representatives will put drugs, treatments and devices under a
microscope to find out which are most effective and appropriate for each
group. Page 7

SLOW THINKING MAY NURTURE CREATIVITY
What makes some of us more creative than others? The latest research at
the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque has shown that slow
connections in the brain make people more creative. It was found that
creativity correlated with low levels of a chemical found in neurons
associated with neural development. But for all you creative types,
don't be disheartened, slow connections in the brain does not mean you
are less intelligent. Creativity and intelligence can still go hand in
hand; each trait is simply controlled by white matter in a different
region of the brain. Page 12

SOCIAL NETWORKS SHOW DRUG USE FOLLOWS LACK OF SLEEP
Neuroscientists at the University of California have discovered that
lack of sleep is more likely to lead to increased drug use. The study
was conducted by analysing the changes of friendship networks of 90,000
teens during a school year. Page 11

THE BUGS IN YOUR COMPUTER-ON-WHEELS
Electronics and computers have replaced many of the mechanical
components in today's cars. With these crucial systems now controlled by
electronics, what are the risks these systems could malfunction? Pages
20 - 21

ENDS

Reports on this story must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:
If you'd like to view the above articles in full-text AND/OR for radio &
TV interviews, please contact Rita Mu, Marketing and PR Assistant-
Australia, Tel: 61 2 9422 2556 or email: media at newscientist.com.au

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
Varneek Sehra, New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or
email: varneek.sehra at rbi.co.uk

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 781 734 8778 or email:
Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit
www.newscientist.com

Rita Mu
Marketing and PR Assistant-- Australia/NZ
New Scientist
Tel: 61 2 9422 2556
Email: media at newscientist.com.au