[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 12 MARCH 2011

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Mar 9 01:28:42 CET 2011

NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 12 MARCH 2011 (No. 2803)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 05:00 HRS AEST (07:00 HRS NZST) THURS 10 MARCH 2011.

Reports on stories must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

A WORLD UNCHANGED SINCE THE MESOZOIC
David Bowden at the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research in Auckland, New Zealand and colleagues have uncovered a lost world. This world is filled with crinoids, a stalked cousin of sea stars and sea urchins. Crinoids were thought to remain in existence only in small numbers in the deep sea; yet over 1000 crinoids have been discovered on a submerged mountain off the Antarctic coast. Page 14

ARE TUMOURS OUR OLDEST ANCESTORS?
Astrobiologists Charles Lineweaver at the Australian National University in Canberra and Paul Davies at Arizona State University in Tempe have a new and controversial hypothesis they hope will end our battle with cancer. They believe tumours are our most distant animal ancestors, building on a link between cancer and the origin of multicellular animals. Page 12

BOOSTING THE SPECTACLE
The Melbourne Grand Prix promises to be even more exciting this year as the Fédération Internationale d'Automobile (FIA) introduces drag-destroying wings and reintroduces the kinetic recovery system (KERS) to Formula 1 racing. Page 24

RUBBERY MUSCLE MOTORS WILL MAKE ROBOTS MORE LIFELIKE
Robots will become even more lifelike as gears and cogs are replaced by soft artificial muscles developed by the Auckland Bioengineering Institute's Biomimetics Lab in New Zealand. Page 26

THE I IN DREAMING
What do our dreams really mean? New Scientist explores how sleep and dreams contribute to our waking life. Feature Pages 36 - 39

PARANORMALITY
Paranormal activity is yet to hold up under scientific scrutiny; but the search for the supernatural has uncovered remarkable insights into the human brain, beliefs and behaviour. Feature Pages 48 - 51

PULSATING PLANET
The Earth's crust can be thrust almost a kilometre upwards, before subsiding in a geological blink of an eye. What is the culprit for such dramatic movements? Hot blobs. The notion of hot blobs is relatively new, and if correct it could lead to significant reassessment of long-held geological assumptions. Feature Pages 40 - 43

WHAT'S UP, DOC?
A confidential survey of 3000 doctors in the US and UK has indicated a quarter of doctors know a colleague is underperforming or incompetent but do not raise their concerns. Doctors have a responsibility to patients yet this finding suggests patients interests are not always put first. Page 4

KEY TO HUMANITY IS IN MISSING DNA
How do our genes differentiate us from chimpanzees and other animals? At long last we are close to an answer. A ground-breaking study released this week demonstrates experimentally the differences between our DNA and that shared by our nearest relatives. Key differences are not in DNA we acquired but in chunks of DNA we lost. Pages 6 - 7
USING AI TO SPOT A LIE
Lie detectors could be a thing of the past. Concealed information tests (CITs) which use techniques drawn from artificial intelligence can uncover a single piece of information being concealed by an entire group, making them a useful tool in the fight against terror. Page 23

LOOK OUT THE WINDOW TO DECIDE ON ONE PILL OR TWO
It seems sunlight can affect how fast we metabolise drugs. These findings could have implications for tailoring drug does in countries where sunlight levels vary dramatically throughout the year. Page 13

SHOCK WAVES ARE JUST THE THING TO MAKE ENGINES PURR
Smaller and lighter engines that reply on shock waves to compress air and fuel could reduce the weight of cars by up to 20 per cent, making hybrid cars more efficient. Page 25

The following articles are for IMMEDIATE RELEASE. Please click on the links below to view the full-text articles.

GPS CHAOS: HOW A $15 BOX CAN JAM YOUR LIFE
GPS signals now help you call your mother, power your home, and even land your plane... But a cheap plastic box can jam it all. An entire generation is reliant on GPS signals without even knowing it. Airports, ATMs, mobile phones and navigation can be brought down by a jamming device easily purchased over the internet. So what are researchers doing in response? http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20202-gps-chaos-how-a-15-box-can-jam-your-life.html

CAN VIDEO GAMES QUELL NIGHTMARES?
By desensitizing players to violence, video games could help soldiers sleep better. http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/03/can-video-games-quell-nightmar.html

LACK OF SLEEP MAKES FOR A MORE RECKLESS BET
Despite feeling fresh and alert after a night without sleep, your gambling strategy will still be influenced by sleep deprivation. The affects of sleep deprivation push people to take bigger risks in pursuit of wins. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20208-lack-of-sleep-makes-for-a-more-reckless-bet.html

TREK-LIKE TRACTOR BEAM IS POSSIBLE
The tractor beams of science fiction shows may soon be more science than fiction. Scientists at Fudan University in China have shown that it is possible to create a beam of light waves that can pull tiny particles rather than push them. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20193-treklike-tractor-beam-is-possible.html

ENDS

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:
If you'd like to view the above articles in full-text AND/OR for radio & TV interviews, please contact Lucy Dunwell, National Marketing Manager, Tel: 61 2 9422 2893 or email: media at newscientist.com.au

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or email: Louise.Dowding at newscientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 781 734 8778 or email: Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com