[ASC-media] Media Alert: (Local) Budding film makers rock the Geologis [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Media at ga.gov.au Media at ga.gov.au
Thu Oct 6 01:16:48 CEST 2011

Budding film makers rock the Geologis
Content embargoed from publication until 12pm Tuesday 11 October 2011
Australia's Earth Science Week 2011<http://www.ga.gov.au/education/public-events/earth-science-week.html> will be officially opened by the Minister for Resources, Energy and Tourism, the Hon Martin Ferguson AM MP at a presentation to the winners of the Geologi<http://www.ga.gov.au/education/public-events/geologi-short-film-competition.html> 2011 short film competition on Tuesday 11 October in Canberra.

What:   Geologi 2011 short film competition award ceremony and opening of Earth Science Week

When: Tuesday 11 October 2011, 11.30am - 12.30pm

Where: Geoscience Australia, Corner of Jerrabomberra Ave and Hindmarsh Drive, Symonston, Canberra ACT. View map<http://www.ga.gov.au/image_cache/GA11519.gif>.
The Geologi short film competition is co-hosted annually by Geoscience Australia and the Australian Science Teachers Association<http://www.asta.edu.au/>, and is open to all primary and secondary schools across Australia.
Entries were received from Western Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Queensland and the ACT. The films were judged on their science content, creativity and promotion of the theme 'Geology and you' highlighting the role Earth sciences play in our everyday lives. The short films explored the students' view of the world around them and included films on geological time and the formation of our Earth, and natural hazards such as earthquakes and volcanoes.
Finalists are:
Primary Category (Year K- 6)

 *   A Volcano in Our Backyard? by Fraser Primary School, Fraser ACT
 *   From a Rock to a Can by Summer and Troy Rees, Numeralla NSW
 *   Wynyard: Created from Chaos by Table Cape Primary School, Table Cape, Tasmania
Junior Category (Year 7 - 10)

 *   Red Dirt by St Joseph's Regional College, Port Macquarie NSW
 *   Science Rocks by Presbyterian Ladies College, Peppermint Grove WA
Geoscience Australia is hosting a number of events from 9-15 October as part of Australia's 14th year of Earth Science Week<http://www.ga.gov.au/education/public-events/earth-science-week.html>, aligning with the international theme of 'Our ever-changing Earth'.

For more information or to arrange interviews please contact: Geoscience Australia 24 hour Media Hotline 1800 882 035.

Kate Lehane
Science Communicator
Media and Ministerial Team
Corporate Branch | Geoscience Australia
p: +61 2 6249 9324 | f:  + 61 2 6249 9926
24/7 Media Hotline 1800 882 035
e: kate.lehane at ga.gov.au<mailto:kate.lehane at ga.gov.au> | w: www.ga.gov.au<http://www.ga.gov.au/>
GPO Box 378 Canberra ACT 2601 | ABN 80 091 799 039
Cnr Jerrabomberra Ave and Hindmarsh Drive | Symonston ACT 2609
Applying Geoscience to Australia's Most Important Challenges