[ASC-media] The Prime Minister recognises Australia’s science stars tonight

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Wed Oct 12 08:22:43 CEST 2011

Dear ASCers,

>From the dawn of the cosmos to future polymers for everything from plastic solar panels to cosmetics: the Prime Minister will present her Prizes for Science to six outstanding Australian scientists and science teachers at a dinner at Parliament House in Canberra tonight. She will be joined by Australia’s latest Nobel Laureate, Brian Schmidt.

Here is a quick run-down on the winners. There’s more information on all the winners, including full citations, images and videos on our site http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/prime-ministers-prize. Prior to 5 pm you will need to use the password smart plastic

And the official page is www.innovation.gov.au/PMSP<http://www.innovation.gov.au/PMSP>. It will go live at 5 pm.
If you’d like to talk to one of the winners, please contact me – on 0417 131 977 or niall at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:niall at scienceinpublic.com.au>.

The winners in brief

Ezio Rizzardo and David Solomon
Prime Minister’s Prize for Science
Changing the world one molecule at a time

Professors Ezio Rizzardo and David Solomon have reinvented polymer science and devised a means of custom building plastics and other polymers for plastic solar cells, drug delivery, paints, adhesives, lubricants and everything in between.

Their techniques are employed in the laboratories and factories of DuPont, L’Oréal, IBM, 3M, Dulux and more than 60 other companies. Their work has been cited more than 12,000 times in the scientific literature and is integral to more than 500 patents. Ezio is a CSIRO Fellow and David is a Professorial Fellow at The University of Melbourne.

Stuart Wyithe
Malcolm McIntosh Prize for Physical Scientist of the Year
How did the Universe light up – filling a billion years of cosmic history

A billion years after the Big Bang, the Universe burst into light. How? This is one of the mysteries of cosmic history. The theories of Professor Stuart Wyithe, a young theoretical physicist from The University of Melbourne, may give us the answers. His ideas are guiding the development of the next generation of telescopes.

Min Chen
Science Minister's Prize for Life Scientist of the Year
The first new chlorophyll in 67 years

Associate Professor Min Chen from The University of Sydney has discovered a new form of chlorophyll, the molecule central to photosynthesis, in cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) from Shark Bay. The new form, chlorophyll f, absorbs far red light and its discovery has potential applications in solar energy and agriculture.

Brooke Topelberg
Prime Minister's Prize for Excellence in Science Teaching in Primary Schools
Puppets break the science language barrier

Using puppets, a garden, boundless enthusiasm, and an initial science budget of just $1,500 a year, Mrs Brooke Topelberg has bypassed language barriers to bring science to migrant students and turned Westminster Primary School into Western Australia’s Science School of the Year in 2008.

Jane Wright
Prime Minister's Prize for Excellence in Science Teaching in Secondary Schools
A part of her students’ lives

Students at Adelaide’s Loreto College are investigating ESP, the best way to neutralise spills, and the antibiotic effects of honey. Their work illustrates the practical, can-do attitude that Loreto’s science coordinator, Dr Jane Wright, has also applied in leadership of her peers.

Kind regards,

Niall
________
Niall Byrne
Creative Director
Science in Public
82 Hudsons Road, (PO Box 2076) Spotswood VIC 3015
Phone: (03) 9398 1416
Mobile: 0417 131 977
Twitter scienceinpublic
Web: www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au>