[ASC-media] Keeping our best young bioscience brains in Australia

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Oct 20 01:53:29 CEST 2011

Dear ASCers,

The winner of the Centenary Institute Lawrence Creative Prize is Marie-Liesse Asselin-Labat, from Melbourne's Walter and Eliza Hall Institute (WEHI).

Having unravelled key information on how and why breast stem cells contribute to the progression of breast cancer, she is now turning to the challenge of lung cancer.

Her prize was announced yesterday Wednesday 19 October 2011, at a lunch at UBS in Sydney.

She received a cheque for $25,000 and a "fruit of knowledge" glass sculpture.

The purpose of the Prize is to encourage Australia's best young biomedical researchers to stay in Australia and build their careers here.

"When I came here 7 years ago I was attracted to the science in Australia."

"It's fantastic for young scientists to be given the chance to win an award like this and gives you the confidence to give your own creativity a go."

"Lung cancer is the biggest cancer killer and is very difficult to treat.  We want to apply the knowledge we've acquired on breast cancer to the lung."

"We suspect stem cells exist in the lung and we want to find them and see if they have a role in lung cancer."

"The prize is an honour and a great boost for my confidence. It's exciting to see the business community supporting science in this way."

"The scientific judging panel has been astounded at the quality of the applications. Marie-Liesse Asselin-Labat, is a worthy winner of the inaugural prize," said Centenary Institute Executive Director, Professor Mathew Vadas.

33 applications were received from early-career scientists from universities and medical research institutes around Australia.

The other finalists were Greg Neely from the Garvan Institute in Sydney and Marc Pellegrini, also from WEHI:

·         Greg hunts for two different sorts of genes-those that cause pain and those that make us more susceptible to heart attacks.

·         Marc's discoveries about the immune system are being applied to clinical trials of cancer vaccines and treatments for HIV and hepatitis.

The Prize honours Neil Lawrence, the Inaugural Chairman of The Centenary Institute Foundation. Neil and his wife Caroline hold Centenary Institute very near to their hearts, as they are both passionate about advancing the field of medical research so that all Australians can live longer, healthier lives.

"Exceptional young scientists can be hard to keep in Australia and we hope this award will not only celebrate their achievements but also encourage a domestic culture of brilliance in this truly important field", said Professor Vadas.

"We acknowledge the generosity of our sponsors and thank them for making this prize possible."

Major sponsors: FOXTEL, Mindshare, stw group.

Supporting sponsors: Crosby | Textor and Deloitte

Event sponsor: UBS

Media sponsor: The Australian

§  Mathew Vadas is available to speak about the finalists and Marie-Liesse.

§  For images, backgrounder, and full release go to: http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/centenary or call Andrew Wight on (03) 9398 1416, +61 422 982 829.

Kind regards, Niall
________
Niall Byrne
Creative Director
Science in Public
82 Hudsons Road, (PO Box 2076) Spotswood VIC 3015
Phone: (03) 9398 1416
Mobile: 0417 131 977
Twitter scienceinpublic
Web: www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au>