[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 7 JANUARY 2012

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Thu Jan 5 00:18:32 CET 2012

NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 7 JANUARY 2012 (No. 2846)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 05:00 HRS AEST (07:00 HRS NZST) THURS 5 JANUARY 2012.

Reports on stories must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

STEPHEN HAWKING AT 70
When he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease aged just 21, Stephen Hawking was only expected to live a few years. He will be 70 this month and in an exclusive interview with New Scientist he looks back on his life and work. Pages 26 - 27

DARK MATTER MYSTERIES
After eighty years of speculation and work, dark matter is more mysterious now than ever before as astronomers and physicists are discovering that it's a case of 'Now they see it, now they don't.' Feature Pages 30 - 33

UP INTO THIN AIR
After years of planning, setbacks and tragedy, the Perlan Project is poised to push back the limits of winged flight. Enevoldson wants to fly a plane higher into the atmosphere than anybody has imagined before - and he's going to do it without fuel or an engine. Pages 34 - 37

ARE THERE LIMITS TO GROWTH?
An orchestrated backlash against the 1972 bestseller, The Limits to Growth, put scientists off global modelling for decades however its predictions may now be starting to come true. Some researchers think it's time to get the models out again. Pages 38 - 41

WHAT IS AN EARTHQUAKE?
We have always been aware of the planet's rumblings, but it has taken us centuries to grasp the true causes. While there are common misconceptions about what drives earthquakes and the ways that they are linked, there is a great deal we do know about the Earth's shaking in the future. Pages I - VIII

ENDS

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:
If you'd like to view the above articles in full-text AND/OR for radio & TV interviews, please contact Lucy Dunwell, National Marketing Manager, Tel: 61 2 9422 2893 or email: media at newscientist.com.au

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or email: Louise.Dowding at newscientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 781 734 8778 or email: Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit www.newscientist.com
Lucy Dunwell or Linda Le
New Scientist
Tel: 61 2 9422 2887
Email: media at newscientist.com.au
This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's permission. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.