[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 21 JANUARY 2012

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Jan 18 01:36:49 CET 2012

PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 21 JANUARY 2012 (No. 2848)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 05:00 HRS AEST (07:00 HRS NZST) THURS 19 JANUARY 2012.

Reports on stories must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

FORBIDDEN REACTIONS
Despite what we were taught in school, chemistry is not always a precise business. Over the years chemists have come up with many ideas that were derided or dismissed at first, but many of these went on to change our understanding - we look at five of these game changers. Feature Pages 30 - 34

DRILLER KILLER
Bacteria do battle with one using other highly sophisticated weapons, including "smart impalers" but these weapons can be reprogrammed to tackle everything from food poisoning bugs to insect pests. Better yet, these weapons will only take out the bad guys, leaving the good guys standing. Feature Pages 38-41

21ST CENTURY SCHOOL
A unique school in Santa Monica, California, is testing new way of teaching - perceptual learning - that seeks to harness the brain's innate abilities in pattern recognition to teach skills and concepts. Although some teachers are sceptical, students are already seeing benefits. Feature Pages 42-45

CHINA TO SET CAPS ON EMISSIONS
Seven provinces and cities in China are to set caps on their greenhouse gas emissions, following a directive from central government. It's the first time the Chinese government has called for any absolute caps on emissions, having so far preferred softer "carbon intensity" targets. Page 4

TB WE CAN'T TREAT IS SPREADING IN INDIA
A lethal new strain of tuberculosis that resists all known drugs is spreading in Mumbai, India. In addition to struggling to prevent the spread of the disease, most doctors do not know how to correctly treat such patients, which is contributing to increased drug resistance. Page 8

THE NEXT ROBOT REVOLUTION
Software is about to haul robots out of the lab and into our homes, just as it did with computing. Pages 17-19

The following articles are for IMMEDIATE RELEASE. Please click on the links below to view the full-text articles.

CARBON DIOXIDE ENCOURAGES RISKY BEHAVIOUR IN CLOWNFISH
Carbon dioxide in the ocean acts like alcohol on fish, leaving them less able to judge risks and prone to losing their senses. The intoxication adds to the threats that global warming and ocean acidification pose to marine ecosystems.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21355-carbon-dioxide-encourages-risky-behaviour-in-clownfish.html

VEGETARIAN ORANG-UTANS EAT WORLD'S CUTEST ANIMAL
Although orang-utans are vegetarians, recent reports have added to evidence that when food is scarce, some will resort to killing and eating slow loris to supplement their diets.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21364-vegetarian-orangutans-eat-worlds-cutest-animal.html

ENDS

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or email: Louise.Dowding at newscientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 781 734 8778 or email: Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit www.newscientist.com
Tanesha Langham
Subscriptions Marketing Co-ordinator
New Scientist
Tel: 61 2 9422 2038
Email: media at newscientist.com.au

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's permission. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.